Kurt St. Thomas
|Kurt St. Thomas|
August 5, 1963 |
|Occupation||disk jockey, writer, film director|
|Known for||WFNX, Nevermind It's an Interview|
He worked at the radio station WFNX in Boston from 1987 to 1995 as a production director, music director, and ultimately as program director. At 7pm on August 29, 1991, St. Thomas over the WFNX airwaves gave Nirvana's album Nevermind its world premiere by playing the album from start to finish. The album Nevermind went on to sell over 10 million copies in the US and 26 million copies worldwide.
In 1996 He began collaborating with Mike Gioscia in making what would become the feature film Captive Audience. Working on weekends when they could scrape up money. The gritty black and white 16mm film focused on a strange bond between an overnight disc-jockey and a gun toting intruder. The film won seven international Film Festival awards including three at the 1999 Planet Indie Film Festival in Toronto, Board Of Directors Award Nashville Film Festival 1999  Best Feature Magnolia Independent Film Festival 2000 Best Feature Editing Rhode Island International Film Festival 2000
He worked briefly as the afternoon drive host on Indie 103.1 in Los Angeles, California at the end of 2008 before the station was flipped to Spanish.
On January 29, 2008 St. Thomas launched Houndstooth Radio an internet radio station that broadcasts from the garage of his house. The station features mostly new independent artists. http://www.houndstoothradio.com
- (1999) Captive Audience
- (2004) The Red Right Hand 
- (2008) City Of Lost Carts 
- (2010) City Of Lost Graves
- (2013) City Of Lost Parts
- Orange - "Republicans"
- The Jezebelles - "Boys"
- The Dollyrots - "Hyperactive"
- Hesta Prynn - "Can We Go Wrong"
- J Mascis And The Fog - "Everybody Lets Me Down"
- Orbit - "I Wanna Make You"
- 6gig - "Hit the Ground"
- Rustic Overtones - "C'mon"
- Chase Long Beach - "We've Got Pockets Like Nobody's Business"
- Rustic Overtones - "Combustible"
- John Doe - "Seasons in the Sun"
- Stephan Smith featuring Dean Ween and Pete Seeger - "The Bell"
- The Rugs - "The Breakdown"
- Brand New - "The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows"
- Lucky Boys Confusion - "Hey Driver"
- Northern State - "At the Party"
- Fanny Pack - "Cameltoe"
- Rocktopus - "The Single"
- Reel Big Fish - "Monkey Man"
- Northern State - "The Man's Dollar"
- Damone - "Frustrated Unnoticed"
- Hot Rod Circuit - "Save You"
- MC Lars - "Signing Emo"
- Kathleen Edwards - "Back to Me"
- Read Yellow - "The Art"
- As Fast As - "Florida Sunshine"
- Producer and Host of Nirvana Nevermind It's an Interview 
- Producer and Host of The Breeders, The Secret History of The Breeders Both Verbal And Musical
- Producer and Host A Conversation With Frank Black
- Top Ten Reviews http://movies.toptenreviews.com/reviews/c/captive-audience-1999-54807/captive-audience-1999-awards.htm
- Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies
- This Day In Music -29 August 1991 Guardian.co.uk
- February 2002, The Red Right Hand Newenglandfilm.com
- RIIFF http://www.filmfestivals.com/rhode_island/jury.htm
- Nirvana: The Chosen Rejects, St Martins Press, 2004 http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312206631
- Legendary program director Kurt St. Thomas returns as executive producer of the new WFNX.com The Boston Phoenix
- NE Film http://www.newenglandfilm.com/news/archives/02february/redrighthand.htm
- IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1419303/
- Garcia, Alex S. mvdbase.com's page on Kurt St. Thomas. http://mvdbase.com/tech.php?last=St.Thomas&first=Kurt
- CMT Video. http://www.cmt.com/videos/kathleen-edwards/48253/back-to-me.jhtml
- Fenway Recordings page. http://www.fenwayrecordings.com/ry/readyellow.html
- Hip Video Promo. http://www.hipvideopromo.com/clients/as_fast_as.php
- Nirvana, Nevermind It's An Interview http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P4Y45S
- The Breeders, The Secret History of The Breeders Both Verbal And Musical http://www.noaloha.com/breeders/index.php?page=8&album=23
- Pixies Discography http://quimby.gnus.org/html/interview/Pixies.discography.html