|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
Gate No. 2 of Kurukshetra University
|Type||Education and Research|
|Chancellor||Kaptan Singh Solanki|
|Vice-Chancellor||Lt Gen (Dr) D.D.S. Sandhu, PVSM, ADC (Retd)|
Kurukshetra University (Hindi: कुरुक्षेत्र विश्वविद्यालय) was established on 11 January 1957  in Kurukshetra in Haryana, India, 160 km from Delhi. It is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities. The university was the dream of the then Punjab governor, Sir Chandeshwar Prasad Narayan Singh, a Sanskrit scholar, who wanted to set up an institute to promote Indian culture and traditions. The Department of Sanskrit was the first and the only department in the university when it was inaugurated by India's first president, Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Its campus is spread over 400 acres (1.6 km2).
The University Institute of Engineering and Technology was started in 2004. The University received Grade 'A' rating in the 2009 National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) grading.
The Department of Electronic Science in 2011. was awarded a 2.96 crore (US$480,000) project on nanoscience by Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. In 2012, the Department of philosophy introduced academic course on Gita.
- Department of Ancient Indian History, Culture & Archaeology
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of commerce
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Bioinformatics
- Department of Botany
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Commerce (1971)
- Department of Computer Science and Applications
- Department of Communication
- Department of Demography
- Department of English (established in 1961)
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Electronic Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of Foreign Languages (1961)
- Department of Fine Arts 
- Department of Geography
- Department of Geology
- Department of Geophysics
- Department of Genome Science
- Department of Hindi
- Department of History
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Law
- Department of Linguistic
- Department of Library and Information Science (1969)
- Institute of Management Studies (2003)
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Music
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Mechanics
- Department of Mathematical logic
- University School of Management (formerly Department of Management)
- Department of Neuroscience
- Department of Punjabi
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Physics
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Sanskrit, Pali & Prakrit
- Department of Space Science
- Department of Law
- Tagore Hostel
Department of Electronic Science
The Electronic Science Department was established in 1990 with the aim of generating specially trained manpower in the highly sophisticated field of Microelectronics, Integrated Circuit Design, Fabrication and Semiconductor Material Technology. This Department was established with funding from the then Department of Electronics (now, Ministry of Communication & Information Technology), Government of India, UGC and Haryana State Government. This Department is running a four semester M.Sc. course in Electronic Science since 1990. A M.Tech. Course in Microelectronics & VLSI Design was started in 2005 and a M.Tech. Course in Nano Science & Technology was started in 2008. All of these courses are job oriented with provision for project work and industrial training. There are laboratories for providing practical training to students in the areas of Device Fabrication, Thin Film Technology, Photo Lithography, Computer Aided Simulation and Design, Test and Measurement with modern equipment and facilities. The Department has established several advanced labs for teaching and research like VLSI Design Lab, Semiconductor Characterization Lab with advanced facilities like Atomic Force Microscope, X-Ray Diffraction, Spectrophotometer, Elipsometer, RF Magnetron Sputtering System. The Department has been selected to be a part of National Level Programme of NPMASS for MEMs Design. 
Library & centers
The University Library is centrally located and is an air conditioned three storey building having 49,230 sq. feet plinth area and its extension as Golden Jubilee Reading Hall having plinth area of 57,500 sq. feet. It remains open on 360 days from 9.00 a.m. to 12.00 midnight. The University Library has a rich collection of 339817 volumes in the stream of Sciences, Management, Social Science, Commerce and Humanities too. The Library ERNET Centre with 150 computers for the faculty members, students and Research Scholars has an internet connectivity of 10 Mbit/s leased line. Library has also provided internet connectivity to almost all the teaching and non-teaching Departments, Hostels and the entire Campus through WI FI internet connection. In addition to this, under U.G.C.-INFONET E-Journals consortium library provides an access to 8453 scholarly journals. The Library has automated its in house activities such as library membership, circulation of documents, holdings of periodicals, catalogue as Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC).
Colleges and schools
- Institute of Environmental Studies
- University College of Education
- University College Kurukshetra
- University Senior Secondary Model School
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Kurukshetra University
- Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kurukshetra University
- Institute of Instrumentation Engineering (formerly known as University Science Instrumentation Centre)
- Institute of Mass Communication and Media Technology 
- Institute of Law, Kurukshetra University 
Department of Instrument Engineering (Formerly Institute of Instrumentation Engineering)
University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC) was established in 1976 by UGC initially as a Central Instrumentation facility at Kurukshetra University. Recently the name of the department has been changed as Department of Instrumentation from Institute of Instrumentation Engineering with USIC remaining as one of the constituents of the department. In 1995 for the first time in the Haryana region AICTE approved four-year B.Tech (Instrumentation) course was started and in 2006 M.Tech (Instrumentation) was started. In the institute there are two readers and eight lecturers as a faculty. Three teachers hold Ph.D. degrees, one has done M.Phil, six M.Tech and three are NET/SLET qualified. They have long teaching and research experience and expertise in their field. It was formerly Institute of Instrumentation Engineering (formerly USIC)...
Institute of Management Studies
Famous as IMS KUK, the institute was started in 2003 with the vision to provide industry with a well-trained workforce and, at the same time, to help the society by providing world-class entrepreneurs. The institute is running a special MBA Five-Year Integrated Practice-Oriented Program, in which students interested in business administration are chosen after going through a rigorous selection process which consists of entrance test, group discussion and personal interview. The USP of the course is that all students have to go for a one-month training after every semester and have to prepare a training report and come up with a presentation on it. This exercise keeps them in touch with industry.
The first batch passed out in 2008 of which most of the students had got placements through campus recruitment; a few students with an entrepreneurial mindset have entered in their own ventures.
- Dr. Dharamvir Dhillon is a Veterinarian, Industrialist, Social Worker and life-time president of Masters Athletics Federation of India (MAFI). he completed Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) from Kurukshetra University.
- Dr. Mathura Das is Retired Principal of Kendriya Vidyalaya (Indian Army). He taught English to the Students for 41 years. He is the best social worker for providing free help to orphan, needy and poor students. He did PhD in Children crime from this University.
Kurukshetra University declares result for Undergraduate and Post Graduate courses at result.kuk.ac.in.
- "About us". Kurukshetra University. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Kurukshetra University declares results". The Times of India. Apr 19, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Kurukshetra University Info Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- Yoginder Gupta (2007-01-12). "Critical thinkers must for growth: Datta". The Tribune. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- "A rating PU tops region in NAAC grading". The Times of India. Feb 4, 2009. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Kurukshetra University introduces course on Gita". Hindustan Times. August 29, 2012. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Accreditation List". National Assessment and Accreditation Council. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Kurukshetra University bags project to boost Nanoscience". The Times of India. Feb 15, 2011. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Rank 7, Department of Fine Arts, Kurukshetra University Best Fine Arts Colleges 2014". India Today. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Rank 7, Institute of Mass Communication & Media Technology, Kurukshetra University Best Mass Comm Colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Institute of Law, Kurukshetra University Best Law Colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "University College - Kurukshetra University Best BCA Colleges 2013". India Today. 2013. Retrieved 2014-08-08.