Kushboo at the 60th Filmfare Awards South
September 29, 1970
|Years active||1989 - present|
Khushboo Sundar (born Nakhat Khan on 29 September 1970), better known as Kushboo is an Indian film actress, producer, television hostess, and a politician. She is predominantly known for her works in South Indian film industry. She has received two Tamil Nadu State Film Awards for Best Actress.
Khushboo was born in Andheri (West), Mumbai. She had her primary education in Swami Muktananda High School located in Andheri area. She has three brothers. Kushboo speaks Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi,and English fluently.
Khushboo started her career in the early 1980s as a child artist. Her first movie appearance was in The Burning Train 1980 in the song "Teri Hai Zameen Tera Aasman" followed by Thodisi Bewafaii (1980) in both films she had an uncredited roles. She had her first credited role in the 1981 film Laawaris, and Dard ka Rishta (1982). Sunil Dutt gave her large share screen appearance in Dard Ka Rishta. Between 1981-1985 as a child artist she did Aapas Ki Baat,Bemisal, Jaanoo, Patton Ki Bazi and Tan-Badan. Since then, she has acted in over 100 movies, some opposite leading actors such as Kamal Hassan, Rajnikanth, Vishnuvardhan, Venkatesh, Nagarjuna, Ravichandran, Mammootty, Mohanlal, Suresh Gopi, Sathyaraj, and Prabhu. She played the role of the sister of Anil Kapoor in the 1985 hit Meri Jung, and danced with Javed Jaffrey in his first dancing role on screen in the superhit song "Bol Baby Bol, Mere Sang Dol".She went to become the No1 South Indian leading actress during her period.Her career as Hindi film heroine was a disaster as both Deewana Mujhsa Nahi and Prem Daan were flops.she made her debute in Tamil movie Tharmathin Thalaivan.
- Kushboo was introduced to South India through the Telugu movie Kaliyuga Pandavulu opposite Venkatesh, under the direction of K Raghavendra Rao.
- She is known for her TV show Jackpot and her serials Kalki, Janani and Kungumam.
- Apart from Tamil movies, she has also acted in various movies in Hindi, Kannada, Telugu, and Malayalam.
- In Kannada, She has acted in many movies with Ravichandran notably Ranadheera (1987), Anjada Gandu, Shanthi Kranthi and Yugapurusha.
In an interview, Kushboo confessed her being in a live-in relationship for four-and-a-half years, with actor Prabhu, they got married on September 12, 1993, and subsequently divorced in 1994. Khushboo married actor-director Sundar C in 2000. They have two daughters, Avanthika and Ananditha, after whom they have named their production house. She has been living in Chennai for the past twenty years. She has three brothers who live in Chennai. She is one of the most popular and friendly stars. Kushboo learned classical dance from her co-star and friend, actress Sukanya, a student of Chennai Kalakshetra. Kushboo also mentioned in an interview to Vijay TV that Sukanya used to help with her hairstyles and dialogues for K. Balachander's TV serials. One of her brothers, Abdullah, is expected to make his debut in the movie industry, playing the lead role in the movie Netru pol inru illai. She is a self-confessed atheist. In an interview to the Times of India she had mentioned that "I am an atheist, the reasons for which can be traced to my upbringing. Born in a Muslim family, I have always been a silent spectator of religious clashes and discriminations.I have seen people fighting and killing each other in the name of religion. This, perhaps, has made me forgo religion."
In 2005, there was a well-publicized controversy about her remarks in an interview for AIDS awareness, about the need for protected sex. She said it was fine for girls to have pre-marital sex but not without taking precautions to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. The judge acceded and dismissed the petition as withdrawn. The Supreme Court dismissed all cases registered against Kushboo for her alleged remarks on pre-marital sex.
In January 2006, Maxim magazine's inaugural issue featured a page called "Women you will never see in Maxim - 100% fake". Among the photos was a full-page morphed photograph showing Kushboo "posing" in black underwear, along with the caption "Of course, I am a virgin if you don't count from the behind." The caption was in reference to the earlier controversy in 2005 after Kushboo had said that no educated male should expect his bride to be a virgin. The actress described the photo as "immodest", even though only her head is shown in the shot. Khushboo filed a petition with Chennai police commissioner R. Nataraj on 30 January 2006, citing two complaints: defamation and the indecent representation of women. The Supreme Court dismissed the anticipatory bail petition on 22 May 2006.
Khusboo made an announcement in April 2010 that she would be entering politics soon before the 2011 assembly elections and later joined the DMK, by signing her membership form at the party headquarters in Chennai.
Kushboo quits DMK on June 16, 2014 
- Sondhame Endrallum
- Namma Kudumbam
- Paartha Gnabagam Illayo - in Kalaignar TV 2012
- Poova Thalaiya
- Namma Veetu Mahalakshmi
- Get Ready
Kushboo has also been a judge in reality shows:
- Maanada Mayilada
- Azhagiya Thamizh Maghan
- Southern siren Namitha has a temple NDTV - 10 July 2008
- 08-02/tidbits-11-08-08.html "FEFSI, Kushboo's brother". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "I AM: Khushboo - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Front Page: Kushboo enlarged on bail". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 17 November 2005. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Supreme Court dismisses charges against actress Khusboo Sundar". IndiaVision.com. 28 April 2010.
- "Indian star to sue Maxim over photo". BBC News - South Asia. 2006-01-31. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- "SC dismisses anticipatory bail plea of Maxim editor". Dnaindia.com. 2006-05-22. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- PTI May 22, 2006, 12.32pm IST (2006-05-22). "Maxim editor denied bail". The Times Of India. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- "Kushboo jumps on the DMK bandwagon". Decan Herald.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kushboo.|