Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
|GIST (Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology)|
|Location||Gwangju, South Korea|
|Campus||Urban (Gwangju Campus)|
GIST (Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology), formerly known as the Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology (K-JIST), is a leading research-oriented institute of Korea located in Gwangju, South Korea. Students in GIST can attend classes in the institute and participate in research.
GIST was established by the South Korean government in 1993 as a research-oriented graduate school that focuses on technology and education. Despite its relative small size, since its establishment, GIST has advanced from an unknown graduate school in South Korea to one of nation's most prestigious schools, ranking first in the number of publication per professor in 2005. In 2010, GIST started its undergraduate program. Today, GIST continues to develop itself into a world-class research university.
As of May 2012, the GIST student body consists of 1,286 students, with 293 undergraduate and 993 graduate students. Women made up 20% of the undergraduate and 28% of the graduate student body.
Undergraduate program (GIST College)
- General Studies Division (freshmen and sophomore)
- Major Concentrations (junior and senior)
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science Concentration
- Chemistry Concentration
- Physics Concentration
- Life Science Concentration
Graduate program (Graduate School)
The Graduate School of the institute is organized into five schools and three departments.
- School of Information and Communications
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Mechatronics
- School of Environmental Science and Engineering
- School of Life Sciences
- Department of Nanobio Materials and Electronics
- Department of Photonics and Applied Physics
- Department of Medical System Engineering
Even though GIST is a Korean university, its courses are taught in English (except humanities and social science courses); MS theses and PhD dissertations are written in English as well. In addition, admitted students benefit from tuition waiver and fee-free application. Furthermore, all students are supported by a monthly stipend which should be enough to cover their basic living expenses. Finally, military service as mandated by South Korea is waived for Korean PhD students of the institute.
The GIST campus is located in Gwangju.
- List of colleges and universities in South Korea
- List of Korea-related topics
- Education in South Korea