|This page or section lists people with the surname Guān (关 / 關). If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
Kwon (Hangul: 권; Hanja: 權) is a Korean family name. Some sources list as many 56 clans, but most of them were merged with the Andong Kwon clan under the Sijeung-gong faction soon after the establishment of the Republic of Korea.
Andong Kwon clan
The Andong Kwon clan was founded by a Silla aristocrat named Kim Haeng (金幸) who helped Wang Geon, the founder of the Goryeo kingdom, establish himself as ruler in 918. The new king bestowed upon Kim Haeng a new surname: Kwon (權), meaning ‘authority’ or 'power'. The Andong Kwon clan has one of the oldest extant printed genealogies in East Asia, and this clan became the most famous family in Korea through Goryeo and Chosun kingdom.
Yecheon Kwon clan
One account has it that the Yecheon Kwon clan’s original surname was Heun (昕). However, in 1197, the name Heun (昕) was chosen as the posthumous name for the Goryeo kingdom's King Myeongjong. To avoid the use of a king’s posthumous name, the Heun(昕) family were directed to change their name to Kwon (權). The head of the Heun clan at this time became Kwon So, the founding ancestor of the Yecheon Kwon clan. Approximately two thirds of all present-day Kwon clan members live in the Gyeongsang provinces. All members of the Heun(昕) clan disappeared before the founding of Joseon.
Another account states that the Yecheon Heun (昕) clan's Jeoksin, Suchang, Seungdan, and Seungjo married into the Andong Kwon Clan and afterward their descendants took their mothers' surname Kwon (權). Yecheon Kwon clan called an Obongmun (五福門) in late Goryeo.
List of famous Kwons
- Kwon Yul, 16th century general
- Kwon BoA, an actress, dancer, composer, model, singer and songwriter
- Kwon Sang Woo, actor
- Kwon Seon Mi, an actress and singer known as Sol Bi, originally a member of South Korean band Typhoon
- Kwon Ji Yong, is a composer, musician, rapper and singer known as G-Dragon, leader of South Korean boy group Big Bang
- Kwon Yuri singer, actress, songwriter, member of the South Korean girl group Girls' Generation
- Kwon So Hyun is a dancer, rapper and singer. She is a member of the South Korean girl group 4minute
- Kwon Yul is a Korean-American winner of the reality TV show Survivor: Cook Islands
- Kwon Min is a Korean-American pianist
- Kwon Mina singer, actress, member of the South Korean girl group AOA
- Kwon Seokyoung is an American figure skater
- Kwon Nara, a member of South Korean girl group Hello Venus
- Kwon Jeong Saeng was an author of children's books.
- Kwon Yul, actor
- Kwon Ri-se, a singer and former member of South Korean girl group, Ladies' Code
|This page or section lists people with the surname Kwon. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|