||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)
A kwoon (simplified Chinese: 馆; traditional Chinese: 館; pinyin: guǎn; Jyutping: gun2) is a training hall for Chinese martial arts.
According to A Chinese-English Dictionary (Revised Edition) 1978, from Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press (PRC), the word guǎn can also mean
1) Accommodation for guests;
2) Embassy, legation or consulate;
3) (Of service trades) shop;
4) A place for cultural activities;
5) (Archaic) An old-style private school
In Cantonese, the term kwoon is used when referring to:
- Police Stations - Chaai Kwoon (差館)
- Mahjong Houses - Ma Jeuk Kwoon (麻雀館)
- Kung Fu Studios - Gung Fu Kwoon (功夫館)
- Guild Halls - Wui Kwoon (會館)
Kwoon is also a post-rock band from France.
- ^ Post-rock band website: http://www.kwoon-music.com/