Kyle Killen at 2011 Comic-Con
|Known for||Lone Star
Early life and education
Killen is the creator of the short-lived series Lone Star and Awake. He recently created the drama series Mind Games for ABC. He also wrote the feature film The Beaver, filmed in 2009 and released in 2011. It was directed by Jodie Foster and starred Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson. His directorial debut is Mind Games's season finale As God Is My Witness.
Until starting work on Awake, Killen had been based in Austin, Texas. After graduating from USC and leaving Los Angeles, he wrote short fiction and first-person journalism. While working at what he called "real jobs" (computer support, construction), Killen found it hard to give up screenplay-writing. In a last-ditch effort, he returned to L.A., dressed up as a courier and dropped copies of a script at every agency he could find. Six months later, one of those agents called. "That script probably wasn't deserving of getting produced," he told the trade publication Variety in a 2011 "10 TV Scribes to Watch" feature, "but it got me a teeny, tiny toe in the door."Killen told the Austin American-Statesman in 2010 that "I quit, but I never really quit. I took a lot of horrible, crazy jobs, but I always ended up writing about them or writing things that came out of them." Killen is married to an ER doctor; the couple have three children.
- Dale Roe, "'Lone Star' creator Kyle Killen calls Austin home," Austin American-Statesman, September 24, 2010.
- Rob Owen, "Kyle Killen: Sought-after scribe feels like outsider. 10 TV Scribes to Watch," Variety, Jun 14, 2011.
- Owen, "Kyle Killen," June 14, 2011.
- Dale Roe, "'Lone Star' Creator," Austin American-Statesman, September 24, 2010.
- Philiana Ng, "'Awake' Creator Revisits Complexities of Dual Realities and 'Lone Star' Woes (Q&A)," Hollywood Reporter, February 28, 2012.
- Roe, "'Lone Star Scribe," September 24, 2010.
- Kyle Killen at the Internet Movie Database
- Variety on Kyle Killen
- Hollywood Reporter Q & A with Kyle Killen
- Q & A with Kyle Killen and Howard Gordon
- Austin American-Statesman on Kyle Killen
- Kyle Killen at blogspot