Kyle Minor (born 1976) is an American writer. Born and raised in Florida, Minor lived in Indiana and Kentucky before settling in Ohio. He studied writing at The Ohio State University, where he was a three-time honoree in The Atlantic Monthly Student Writing Awards and a winner of the 2012 Iowa Review Prize for Short Fiction and Random House's Twentysomething Essays by Twentysomething Writers contest, and at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, where he reported on the 2012 United States Presidential election for Esquire.
Minor has taught creative writing and literature at various schools, including The Ohio State University, The University of Toledo, Capital University, and Gotham Writers Workshop. Academic Jobs reports that he is the incoming assistant professor of English and creative writing at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in the Fall 2013 semester.
His debut collection of short fiction, In the Devil's Territory which was described as being about how "personal secrets always exact a terrible price" in a review at the Boston Phoenix, included the novella A Day Meant to Do Less, which was chosen by George Pelecanos for Houghton Mifflin's Best American Mystery Stories 2008 anthology. His stories and essays also appear in literary journals including Esquire, Southern Review, Gettysburg Review, and Gulf Coast, and he writes a biweekly column for Salon.com. His second collection of short fiction, Praying Drunk, was called an "often dazzling, emotional, funny, captivating puzzle" by Publishers Weekly.
- Praying Drunk (short fiction, 2014)
- In the Devil's Territory (short fiction, 2008)
- "The Atlantic Monthly is pleased to announce...," The Atlantic Monthly, 2005, Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Miller, Nicholas, "The Iowa Writers' Workshop," Iowa City Only, May 13, 2013, Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- "Iowa and the Too-Easy Magic of the Battleground," Esquire, November 6, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- MacLaughlin, Nina, "Kyle Minor's Book of Secrets," The Boston Phoenix, Feb. 25, 2009. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- "Fiction Review: Praying Drunk" in Publishers Weekly, July 2013, Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Official Web Site
- Kyle Minor's essay "The Question of Where We Begin" in Gulf Coast: A Journal of Literature and Fine Arts (23.1).
|This article about an American short story writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|