Zimmer pitching for the University of San Francisco, 2012
Kansas City Royals
September 13, 1991 |
La Jolla, California
Kyle Zimmer (born September 13, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher. He plays for the Kansas City Royals organization. The Royals selected Zimmer in the first round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft.
Zimmer graduated from La Jolla High School in 2009 where he played and was a member of the Cum Laude Society. He played first base, third base, and pitched 22.1 innings during his senior year. Zimmer batted .410 with a .492 on-base percentage and a .701 slugging percentage, and hit four home runs with 23 RBI. On the mound, Zimmer had a record of 3-3 with a 4.39 ERA. He was named team MVP in 2009, and was also named to the San Diego All-Academic team with a 4.20 ERA.
He pitched a little[clarification needed] at La Jolla but went to the University of San Francisco to play third base. With an All-America at that position, the Dons converted Zimmer into a pitcher. In 2012 his stats were 8 GS, 54.3 IP, 2.15 ERA, 2.97 FIP, 9.94 K/9, 1.16 BB/9, 0.88 WHIP, and .218 BAA 
The Kansas City Royals selected Zimmer with the fifth overall pick of the 2012 MLB Draft, and he signed with the Royals three days after being drafted. He pitched for the Wilmington Blue Rocks of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League and the Northwest Arkansas Naturals of the Class AA Texas League. His season ended prematurely due to tendinitis in his biceps. Zimmer had shoulder surgery in October 2014.
- SB Nation[dead link]
- [dead link]
- FitzGerald, Tom (May 21, 2012). "USF pitcher Kyle Zimmer set to be top draft pick". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Draft prospect capsule: Kyle Zimmer". Star Tribune. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Duber, Vinnie (June 7, 2012). "Royals ink first-round pick Zimmer". MLB.com. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Mccullough, Andy (2014-03-28). "Royals pitching prospect Kyle Zimmer to start throwing next week". Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- Marshall, Ashley (October 28, 2014). "Kansas City's Zimmer has shoulder surgery". MILB.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Draft may keep La Jolla's Zimmer brothers from reuniting". La Jolla Light. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- MLB Draft: USF's Bradley Zimmer selected No. 21 overall by Cleveland Indians