||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
24 May 1977 |
Valentine grew up in Granville, Sydney. She began dancing at three and attended her first dance school aged six. When she was five-years-old, Valentine began acting in television commercials and stage plays. She did about thirty commercials,
In 1994, at age 17 Valentine joined the cast of Neighbours as Libby Kennedy. She moved to Melbourne to take the role and remained on the show until 2004. She opted to leave, wanting to start a family and extend her acting repertoire by returning to the stage. Her character was written out of the storyline in a way allowing for her potential return.
In 2005, Valentine took the lead role of Baby in Dirty Dancing: The Classic Story on Stage at the Theatre Royal, Sydney. She was set to reprise her role when the production moved to London's West . In June 2007, Valentine rejoined Neighbours on a permanent basis. On 8 April 2009, Valentine made an appearance as herself on The Wright Stuff, a UK topical debate TV programme. In April 2011, Valentine took indefinite leave from Neighbours.
Valentine appeared as a housewife in Nine Network's miniseries Fat Tony & Co., which was broadcast in 2014. On 11 March 2014, it was announced that Valentine would be returning to Neighbours as part of a storyline to celebrate 20 years of the Kennedy family.
Valentine married singer Fabio Tolli. They have a daughter, Millana Valentine-Tolli (b. 21 August 2003). The couple separated in 2007.
In April 2008, it emerged that Valentine was involved in a relationship with Australian actor Vince Colosimo. It was suggested this may cause tension on the Neighbours set as Colosimo had separated from fellow Neighbours actor Jane Hall who openly blamed Valentine for the split when in fact it was Hall who ended the relationship with Colosimo over a year before he and Valentine were introduced. In October 2008 Valentine publicly announced that she and Colosimo were no longer dating and that they had only ever been friends.
On 4 July 2008, Valentine collapsed on a flight home from New York and was diagnosed with pneumonia and a collapsed lung. The cabin crew gave the actress oxygen during the flight and when she arrived in Melbourne was taken to hospital for further treatment. She stayed in hospital for several days before recuperating at home. Valentine was told that she needed to rest for a month and she could not return to work on Neighbours. On 10 August 2008 it was reported that New Zealand actress Michala Banas would take over the role of Libby for a month. Valentine resumed the role from the first episode of the 2009 series.
On 6 July 2010, Valentine was hospitalised with a life-threatening blood clot on her lung. Valentine was ordered to stay in hospital for four days. In December, Valentine checked herself into a clinic as she was suffering from exhaustion.
Valentine returned to the Neighbours set in January 2011. A few months after her return to filming, Valentine took indefinite leave from Neighbours. Fiona Byrne of the Herald Sun reported the actress was undergoing treatment in hospital for a depressive illness.
- Connoly, Paul (24 April 2011). "Kym Valentine". The Sun-Herald (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Byrne, Fiona (16 April 2011). "Kym Valentine to take a neighbourly break". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- Dainty, Sophie (18 October 2013). "'Neighbours' Kym Valentine films first role since leaving soap". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Thomas, Sarah (11 March 2014). "Kym Valentine's surprise return to Neighbours for 20-year special". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (21 October 2007). "'Neighbours' actress splits from husband". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi UK. Retrieved 7 January 2008.
- "Underbelly's Vince Colosimo romancing Neighbours' Kym Valentine". Herald Sun. 21 April 2008.
- Kym Valentine: "I hit rock bottom" Womans Day
- Vickery, Colin (21 November 2008). "Kym Valentines's collapse caused a Neighbours headache". Herald Sun. Australia: The Herald and Weekly Times. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- RTÉ.ie Entertainment: Neighbours star suffered collapsed lung
- "Nightmare flight for actor Kym Valentine", Herald Sun
- Kym Valentine takes a break from Neighbours, Herald Sun
- "Neighbours star Kym Valentine in hospital with respiratory problem, due back on set soon". Herald Sun (Australia: The Herald and Weekly Times). 8 July 2010. Retrieved 9 July 2010.
- "Kym opens up about health battle". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). 2 February 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2011.