Kyril, Prince of Preslav
Kyril, Prince of Preslav, Duke of Saxony (born 11 July 1964), also known as Kyril of Saxe-Coburg, is the second son of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria (also Prime Minister of Bulgaria from 2001 to 2005) and his wife Doña Margarita Gómez-Acebo y Cejuela. Although he was born after his father's loss of the throne, he is by courtesy styled as a royal prince. The Prince of Preslav would have been the title for the second son of Bulgarian monarchs. Since Simeon was exiled as a child and Bulgaria never returned to becoming a monarchy, Simeon's children's titles are courtesy titles, as is the case with all dethroned dynasties.
Education and career
Marriage and family
Kyril of Preslav married doña María del Rosario Nadal y Fuster de Puigdórfila (daughter of industrialist Miguel Nadal y Bestard and Isabel Fuster de Puigdórfila y Villalonga, sister of the 10th and daughter of the 9th Counts of Olocau, both of Catalan descent) on 15 September 1989. The bride's gown was designed by Gustavo Puente and the religious ceremony was held at Saint Anne's Chapel, Almudaina Palace, Palma de Mallorca. The Spanish tabloids tabloids ¡Hola! and Semana covered the event and reported that there were 400 guests, though only 125 could be accommodated in the chapel for the religious ceremony. According to Majesty magazine at the time, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, Infanta Elena, Infanta Cristina, and Felipe, Prince of Asturias attended the occasion.
The couple have three children:
- HRH Princess Mafalda-Cecilia Preslavska of Bulgaria, born 27 July 1994 in London.
- HRH Princess Olimpia Preslavska of Bulgaria, born 14 December 1995 in London.
- HRH Prince Tassilo Preslavski of Bulgaria, born 20 January 2002 in London.
As Kyril's wife, Rosario, who is a native of Majorca, could use the style of "Princess of Preslav", but she is most often referenced in the media as "Rosario Nadal". She is not a princess in her own right, though she is a maternal descendent of the Counts of Olocau, her grandfather being the 9th Count, and her uncle being the present and 10th Count. Rosario is also a descendant of the Aztec Emperor Moctezuma II.
In October 2009, it was announced by the Spanish news agency EFE that, according to a report from an anonymous source close to Simeon of Bulgaria, the prince and princess are going to live separately. The source claimed, however, that they don't presently have any plans or intention to divorce.
The couple appeared together at the royal wedding of Princess Victoria of Sweden in June 2010.
On 28 October 1987, Kyril escorted fellow Princeton graduate Brooke Shields to a dinner/fashion show hosted by Christian Lacroix in New York City. Until his marriage, Kyril's purported romantic interests were tracked by European celebrity magazines, notably ¡Hola! in Spain.
He and his wife have been known to socialize with many celebrities and royals, such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Hugh Grant, the Crown Prince Haakon Magnus and Mette Marit of Norway, as well as the Spanish royal family.
- His Royal Highness The Prince of Preslav, Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke of Saxony (1964–present)
|Ancestors of Kyril, Prince of Preslav|
- Biography HRH Prince Kyril of Preslav – Official website of H.M. King Simeon II
- The Peerage
- Armitstead, Louise: "Hedge Fund Star's Net Worth," The Times, 1 July 2007
- "Fast Track: A-Z of Employers Lehman Brothers," The Independent, 26 November 1998
- "Bulgarian Royals," The Royal Forums (blog)
- Town & Country, March 1998
- Margalejo, Isabel, and Rosario Nadal, Architectural Digest, March 2007, No. 12, p. 338
- News in Pictures, Hello! magazine, 13 October 2009.
- ¡Hola!, 12 October 2009
- Hello Magazine, 19 June 2010
- Prince Kyril of Saxe-Coburg and actress Brooke Shields attend Christian Lacroix's - Getty Images
Kyril, Prince of Preslav
Cadet branch of the House of WettinBorn: 11 July 1964
Title last held byPrince Kiril of Bulgaria
|Prince of Preslav
Prince Beltrán of Bulgaria
|Line of succession to the former Bulgarian throne
Prince Tassilo of Bulgaria
|Line of succession to the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha throne