||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|Birth name||Cho Kyu-hyun|
February 3, 1988 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Instruments||Vocals, clarinet, piano, harmonica|
|Associated acts||Super Junior
SM The Ballad
|Revised Romanization||Jo Gyu-hyeon|
Cho Kyu-hyun (born February 3, 1988) is a South Korean singer and actor. He is a member of the South Korean boy band Super Junior, its sub-groups, Super Junior-M and Super Junior-K.R.Y., and a former member of the South Korean ballad group S.M. The Ballad. He is one of the first four Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps.
- 1 Biography
- 2 April 2007 car accident
- 3 Commercial endorsements
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Kyuhyun was born in Nowon, a district in Seoul. Kyuhyun has an older sister named Cho Ara. Kyuhyun's father is in the education business and owns a school. Kyuhyun's mother also runs an art academy and a guesthouse called 'MOM House' located at Myeongdong. Kyuhyun was initially urged to study law and would have been a lawyer if he had not become a singer. His original plans were abandoned once Kyuhyun joined a band in high school, where he became more interested in music and singing. His father was against his dream of singing but allowed him to do so if he did well on his college entrance exams and was accepted into a university. Kyuhyun enrolled in Kyunghee University with a major in Post-Modern Music. He received his bachelor's degree in 2013 and is currently enrolled in the university's master's program. Kyuhyun won third place at the Chin Chin Singing Competition in 2005.
2006: Debut with Super Junior
Kyuhyun officially debuted in May 2006 as part of Super Junior, formerly "Super Junior 05", the first generation of 12-member rotational boy band, who had debut in November 2005 with single, "TWINS (Knock Out)". In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following his addition to the group, they dropped the suffix "05" and became officially credited as Super Junior.
Kyuhyun made his first appearance as a part-time model of Super Junior in a news broadcast on 23 May 2006 where the group introduced their new single, U. His debut performance was on 27 May at SBS's I-Concert with "U", where it was also the group's first comeback performance as a permanent group. The CD single "U" was released on 7 June 2006, which was their most successful single until the release of "Sorry, Sorry" in March 2009.
In November 2006, Kyuhyun, along with Yesung and Ryeowook, was placed in Super Junior's first subgroup, Super Junior-K.R.Y.. The trio specialize in ballads and debuted on 5 November on KBS's Music Bank. Kyuhyun made contributions to the soundtrack of the tvN drama Hyena, released in November 2006, with a solo track titled "Smile". Along with fellow member Ryeowook, Kyuhyun was featured in song "Wish" (소원), in labelmate TVXQ's repackaged edition of Mirotic in 2008.
In April 2008, Kyuhyun was put into seven-member sub-group Super Junior-M, a Mandopop subgroup of Super Junior for the Chinese music industry. They debuted in China at the 8th Annual Music Chart Awards, simultaneously with the release of their first music video, "U" on 8 April 2008. This was followed by the release of the debut Chinese-language studio album, Me in selected provinces in China on 23 April and 2 May in Taiwan. Kyuhyun also collaborated with The Grace in early 2008 to perform "Just For One Day" (하루만) for The Grace's first album Hanbeon Deo, OK?.
In July 2009, Kyuhyun sang his first solo track. He was featured on Yoo Youngsuk's 20th anniversary tribute album, with a remake of Yoo's song "7 Years of Love" (7년간의 사랑). He first performed it on 12 July 2009 on television programme Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketch Book. The song was released as a digital single, and on Yoo's album on 30 June, with all proceeds going to UNICEF. He and bandmate Donghae performed "Happy Bubble", a commercial theme song for facial wash product "Happy Bath" with actress Han Ji-min, with a music video released on 19 August 2009.
2010: S.M. The Ballad and OST
On 6 January 2010, Kyuhyun's solo track "Listen To You", for Korean drama Pasta was released. It peaked at number one on music portals real time charts. On 5 August, his third solo song "Hope, a dream that never sleeps" (희망은 잠들지 않는 꿈) for television drama Baker King, Kim Tak Goo was released.
In November 2010, Kyuhyun along with label mates TRAX’s Jay, SHINee’s Jonghyun, and new singer Jino formed project group SM The Ballad. It is described as their label's vocal unit group. They released their debut album, Miss You on 29 November 2010 and debuted on music programme Inkigayo on 28 November. Their debut album includes a solo track, "Love Again" by Kyuhyun.
In 2014 he along with TRAX's Jay and Jinho left the group S.M. The Ballad and the group made their comeback with 7 new members, Jonghyun being the only original member remaining in the group.
2011: Musical theatre and television debut
From the 15 December 2010 to mid-January 2011, he rotated as D'Artagnan with TRAX's Jay "Typhoon" Kim in the The Three Musketeers. Where they co-starred with Yoo Jun Sang, Im Ki Jun, Kim Mu Yul and Dana Hong at Chungmu Art Hall, Seoul. He was placed first in an on-line poll for the Musical Rising Star Award at the 2010 Golden Ticket Awards, for his performance in the role of D'Artagnan.
In 2011, Kyuhyun contributed to group mate, Siwon's drama Poseidon with track "The Way to Break Up". It was composed by Yoon Jong Shin and included in his monthly project. Then Kyuhun sang "Late Autumn" for Yoon's November monthly project. Kyuhyun also appeared on KBS's Immortal Songs 2 replacing band mate Yesung, winning two rounds.
Kyuhyun was one of four regular MC on Super Junior's Foresight and in September he replaced fellow member Heechul as regular MC on MBC's Radio Star. He also appeared on We Got Married as part of Fighting Junior supporting fellow member Leeteuk and on-screen wife actress Kang So-ra.
2012: Comeback with Super Junior
On 28 January 2012, Kyuhyun was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr., rotating with Um Ki Joon, Kim Jeong-hoon, Park Kwang-hyun and Key of Shinee in the Korean production of Broadway musical Catch Me If You Can. The musical ran from 28 March to 10 June at the Blue Square, Samsung Card Hall, in Hannam-dong, Seoul.
In June 2012, Kyuhyun reunited with his Super Junior band mates for their sixth studio album, Sexy, Free & Single for released on 4 July. On 26 June Kyuhyun's teaser photo was released showing him in side profile looking upwards with pale white face.
In November 2012, Super Junior K.R.Y. held a concert tour in Japan, Super Junior K.R.Y. Special Winter Concert.They announced that they would be releasing their first single after 6 years of debuting. Promise You is the name of their song, which had its teaser release last November 21, 2012, and was released on 23 January 2013. It debuted at number 2 on Japan's Oricon Charts and peaked at number 1.
2013-present: Comeback with Super Junior-M and Super Junior-K.R.Y., solo debut, musicals
On 7 January 2013, Super Junior-M released their second album, Break Down, along with the music video for the lead single of the same name. A press conference took place in Beijing on January 7, and they will promote the album in China. Super Junior M has held fanmeeting tour in Chengdu, Nanjing, Bangkok, Taipei, Shanghai, Beijing.
From December 2012 to February 2013, he was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr. for the re-run of musical Catch Me If You Can. From March 2013 to April 2013, he was cast as D'Artagnan for the re-run of musical The three musketeers.
In August 2013, Kyuhyun graduated from Kyunghee University's postmodern music department with a bachelor's degree. News sources reported the graduations of Kyuhyun and classmate Kim Yeonji as unusual examples of entertainment stars taking their academic work seriously, about which Kyuhyun remarked, "I worked hard to get into university, so I was very attached."
From 18 January to 23 February 2014, Kyuhyun starred in the musical adaptation of MBC's Moon Embracing the Sun, alongside Girls' Generation's Seohyun. The musical was performed at the Seoul Arts Center.
In May 2014, it was officially announced that Kyuhyun was to star in the musical Singin' In The Rain as Don Lockwood, with Girls' Generation's Sunny cast as the female lead. The musical is being produced by SM C&C, a subsidiary of S.M. Entertainment, and will run from 5 June to 22 June 2014 at Chungmu Art Hall in Seoul.
On August 2014, Kyuhyun has been cast in his third musical, The Days. In 'The Days', he played the second lead character Mooyeong, a witty and free-spirited security guard for Blue House as well as friend of Jeong Hak. It was said that along with Kyuhyun, actors Kim Seung Dae, Oh Jeong Hyuk, and Ji Chang Wook will be playing Mooyeong. Its run will be from October 21, 2014 up to January 2015.
It was officially announced on November 6, 2014 that Kyuhyun is the next SM Entertainment male solo artist, dropping the first set of concept images at the same time, followed by another set of concept photos released on November 7. On 13 November 2014, Kyuhyun released his first solo EP titled, At Gwanghwamun. Kyuhyun made his first music show appearance on KBS2's Music Bank on November 14. Just two hours upon its online release, the solo album's title track "At Gwanghwamun" started to top several major music sites and in 12 hours Kyuhyun achieved an all-kill by placing his song "At Gwanghwamun" at the top of all nine digital Korean charts. Not only was his title song which hit the charts, but all of his tracks made their way to top 10 in most music sites.
In December 2014, it was announced that Kyuhyun will be starring as Prince Phillip for the musical Robin Hood. He will take turn to play the said role with BEAST's Yang Yoseob and actor Park Sunghwan. The musical will open in January 2015 at the D-Cube Arts Center in Seoul.
April 2007 car accident
On the early morning of April 19, 2007, Kyuhyun with Super Junior members Leeteuk, Shindong, Eunhyuk, and two managers were all hospitalized due to a serious car accident when a front tire burst and the car hit a guard rail while returning from the Super Junior Kiss the Radio show. Kyuhyun, who was sitting behind the driver's seat when the accident occurred, was the most injured and had a fractured hip, pneumothorax from broken ribs, and facial scratches and bruises.
The doctor told Kyuhyun's parents that to repair his pierced lungs he would have to make a hole in Kyuhyun's neck thus ending his career as a singer; Kyuhyun's father was the first to immediately reject the operation stating that Kyuhyun would rather die than not be able to sing, and pleaded that the doctor find another way to repair his son's lungs. He was in a coma for four days and was told by doctors that he, "had about a 20 percent chance to live." Kyuhyun spent 6 days in the ICU before he was moved to a regular hospital room. Kyuhyun no longer needed the respiratory machine to support his breathing, though it was said that he was only able to walk on his own one month after the accident. Kyuhyun was discharged on July 5, 2007 after 78 days.
Together with Super Junior/Super Junior-M as a whole group, Kyuhyun has endorsed for various brands such as Pepsi, Yamaha(New Fino), 12Plus, SPAO, Kyochon Chicken, LG phone, Lotte Duty Free, Bonrich. In 2013, Kyuhyun and other SM artists Yoona, Choi Minho, Sulli, Seohyun, Siwon become the main models for SK Telecom. He endorsed Masita Seaweed for 4 years from 2011-2014.
As a featured artist
|2013||Trap||"Trap"||03:45||With Henry and Taemin|
|"The night Chicago died"||Super Junior-K.R.Y.|
|2007||H.I.T OST||"H.I.T"||Super Junior-K.R.Y., Kangin, Sungmin, Donghae|
|Hanbeon Deo, OK?||Just For One Day||Kyuhyun, The Grace|
|2009||Yoo Youngsuk's 20th anniversary album||"7 Years of love"||Kyuhyun|
|Partner OST||" Dreaming Hero"||Super Junior-K.R.Y.|
|2010||Pasta OST||"Listen... To You"||Kyuhyun|
|Baker King, Kim Tak Goo OST (Part 5)||"Hope Is A Dream That Doesn't Sleep"||Kyuhyun|
|S.M. The Ballad Vol. 1 – 너무 그리워 (Miss You)||Miss You||Kyuhyun, Jay Kim, Jonghyun, Jino|
|Hot Times||Kyuhyun, Jay Kim, Jonghyun, Jino|
|HARU OST||"Angel"||Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Ryeowook|
|The President OST (Part 1)||"Biting My Lips"||Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, Sungmin|
|2011||Poseidon OST (Part 2)||"The Way to Break Up"||Kyuhyun|
|Superstar K theme song||" FLY"||Super Junior-K.R.Y.|
|The Monthly Melody(Yoon Jong-shin)||"Late Autumn"||Kyuhyun|
|2012||God of War OST (Part 1)||"Edge of Rain(Inoo인우)"||Kyuhyun|
|Yoon Il Sang 21st Anniversary 'I'm 21'||"Reminiscence"||Super Junior-K.R.Y. |
|To the Beautiful You OST (Part 3)||"Beautiful You"||Kyuhyun, Tiffany|
|Ms Panda and Mr Hedgehog OST||"Loving You"||Super Junior-K.R.Y.|
|The Great Seer OST||"Just Once"||Kyuhyun|
|2013||The Croods OST||"Shine Your Way"(Kor.Ver)||Kyuhyun, Luna|
|Hwang Sung Jae Project Super Hero 2nd Line Up||"Love Dust"||Kyuhyun|
|SKT CF OST||"T'ple Couple Want it"||Kyuhyun, Seohyun|
|2010||Super Show 3 3D||Himself|
|2012||I AM. - SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Himself |
|2013||Super Show 4 3D||Himself|
|2011–present||The Radio Star as host||MBC|
|2012||We Got Married (Chinese version)||Shanghai Media Group|
|April 2013–Nov 2013||Mamma Mia||KBS|
|16 November 2014||Running Man Ep 221||SBS|
|2011–2014||The Three Musketeers||D'Artagnan||Male Lead|
|2012–2013||Catch Me If You Can||Frank Abagnale Jr.||Male Lead|
|2014||Moon Embracing the Sun||King Lee Hwon||Male Lead|
|2014||Singin' in the Rain||Don Lockwood||Male Lead|
|2014-2015||The Days||Mooyeong||Male Lead|
|2015||Robin Hood||Prince Phillip||Male Lead|
Music video appearance
|2005||"Hi Ya Ya"||Chin Chin's Members|
|2009||"Happy Bubble"||Kyuhyun, Donghae, Han Ji-min|
|2011||"Late Autumn"||Yoon Jong-shin|
Awards and nominations
|2011||2010 Golden Ticket Awards||Musical Rising Star||Kyuhyun: "The Three Muskeeters Musical"||Won|||
|MBC Entertainment Awards||Special Award (MC category)||Kyuhyun: Golden Fishery - Radio Star||Won|||
|2012||Best Newcomer Award||Won|||
|Entertainment Program of the Year||Won|||
|2013||7th Musical Awards||Popular Star Award||Kyuhyun - The Three Musketeers||Won|
|2014||MBC Entertainment Awards||Excellence Award - Music Talk Show Department||Kyuhyun - Golden Fishery - Radio Star||Won|
|2015||24th Seoul Music Awards||Bonsang Awards||At Gwanghwamun||Nominated|
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
Music show awards
|2014||November 20||"At Gwanghwamun" |
|2014||November 21||"At Gwanghwamun" |
|2014||November 22||"At Gwanghwamun"|
|2014||November 26||"At Gwanghwamun" |
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "Super Junior-M to appear on postage stamps". Newsen (in Korean). 2008-12-08. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "2005 Super Junior's official debut" Ent.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "SM Unveils 12-Membered Boy Group Named Super Junior" Arirang.co.kr. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-25
- "Super Junior adds new member, transformed into 13-person super group" Sina.com. 24 May 2006. Retrieved 2011-05-08 (Chinese)
- "SuperJunior releases third studio album" Epaper.jinghua.cn. 14 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- "Super Junior – K.R.Y. Formed" 5 November 2006. Retrieved 5 May 2007
- "Super Junior-M debuts in China new album sweeps music scene (Super Junior-M出道中国 新碟引爆内地歌坛)" Ent.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Chinese)
- Kim, Heidi "Super Junior- K.R.Y. to hold exclusive concert in February" 10 Asia. 4 January 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-30
- "규현·종현·제이, 신예 지노와 프로젝트 SM더발라드 그룹 결성 – 중앙일보 연예" joinsmsn.com (2010-11-19) Retrieved 2011-12-25 (Korean)
- Kang Seung-hun "Super Junior Kyuhyun says advice from cast members helps with musical" 10 Asia. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-12-08
- "2010 Musical Rising Star Award Poll results" Golden Ticket Awards. Retrieved 2011-12-08 (Korean)
- "Super Junior Kyuhyun replaces Kim Heechul on 'Radio Star'" Asiae. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-22
- Sunwoo, Carla "Three join ‘Catch Me if You Can’" Joongang Daily. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-27
- Hong, Grace Danbi (26 June 2012). "Super Junior’s Choi Siwon and Kyuhyun’s Comeback Photos Unveiled". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Jeon, Su Mi (January 3, 2013). "Super Junior-M to Release Second Studio Album in China". Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "[Exclusive] SuJu Kyuhyun chosen as 'Mamma Mia' MC... baton touch with Minho". May 11, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- (Korean)" '대학생활도 성실히' 슈주 규현·씨야 김연지 졸업"
- "Front tyre brusts, four Super Junior members in serious car accident (车前轮爆胎 Super Junior四成员遭遇重大车祸)" sina.com. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Super Junior serious car accident, Kyuhyun most serious (Super Junior遭遇车祸 奎贤伤势最重)" sina.com (2007-04-19) Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Four Super Junior members accident latest development (Super Junior四成员车祸最新进展)" sina.com. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Kyuhun on medical ventilator and speaks for first time since accident (圭贤撤掉人工呼吸器 车祸之后首次开口)" sina.com. 24 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- Kim, Lynn (14 July 2010). "Kyuhyun says "had about 20% chance to live" 3 years ago". 10 Asia. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "SJ Kyuhyun moved to regular ward, Shindong and Eunhyuk discharged home to recuperate (SJ圭贤即将转至普通病房 神童银赫出院休养)" sina.com. 24 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-12 (Chinese)
- "Yoon Il-sang launches digital singles". Joongang Daily. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Hong, Lucia (29 August 2012). "SM Entertainment artists sing for soundtrack to For You in Full Blossoms". 10 Asia. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "2011 MBC 연예대상, 오명만 남긴 잔치…후폭풍이 거세다" [Winners from the 2011 MBC Entertainment Awards]. Nate News (in Korean). 30 December 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Super Junior's Kyuhyun Takes Number One On Korean Music Charts With Solo Debut". KpopStarz. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Kyuhyun wins #1 + Performances from November 21st 'Music Bank'!". Allkpop. 21 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Kyuhyun wins on 'Show Champion' with 'At Gwanghwamun'!". Allkpop. 26 November 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Super Junior – Official Korean website (S.M. Entertainment)
- Cho Kyuhyun on Twitter
- Cho Kyuhyun on Sina Weibo
- Official website