It is a fairly common surname in the United States, ranked 975th during the 1990 census and 368th during the year 2000 one. In 2000, it was the eighth-most-common surname among America's Asian and Pacific Islander population, predominantly from its Vietnamese use. It was also reported among the top 200 surnames in Ontario, Canada, based on a survey of that province's Registered Persons Database of Canadian health card recipients as of the year 2000.
Origins of surname
- Le is the pinyin romanization of the uncommon Chinese surname written 樂 in traditional characters and 乐 in simplified ones (Lè, lit. "happy", "happiness"). It was the 81st of the Song-era Hundred Family Surnames, but is not currently among the top hundred surnames in mainland China or on Taiwan.
List of Vietnamese people with the surname
- US Census Bureau. Op. cit. Public Broadcasting Service. "How Popular Is Your Last Name?" Accessed 6 Apr 2012.
- "Genealogy Data: Frequently Occurring Surnames from Census 2000". 27 Sep 2011.
- Lauderdale, Diane S.; et al. (2000). "Asian American ethnic identification by surname" (PDF). Population Research & Policy Review 19: 283–300.
- Shah, B. R.; Chiu, M.; Amin, S.; Ramani, M.; Sadry, S.; Tu, J. V. (2010). "Surname lists to identify South Asian and Chinese ethnicity from secondary data in Ontario, Canada: A validation study". BMC Medical Research Methodology 10: 42. doi:10.1186/1471-2288-10-42. PMC 2877682. PMID 20470433.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Le. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|