Lí (Chinese: 黎) is a Chinese surname. It is most common in Central and South China (including Hong Kong) where it is translated as Lai (from Cantonese), and is one of the four most common surnames among ethnic Vietnamese, which in the Vietnamese language is Lê. It is listed 262nd in the Song Dynasty classic Hundred Family Surnames.
Around the Yangtze River, any Jiuli (九黎) people got surname Li (黎) as a tribal name. In Ancient China, descendants of Shaohao were surnamed Li (黎) on Licheng County (黎城). During the Xia Dynasty, descendants of Emperor Yao were surnamed Li (黎) in Licheng County (黎城).
- Leon Lai (黎明), Chinese actor and Cantopop singer
- Li Yuanhong, president of the Republic of China
- Jimmy Lai, founder of Apple Daily
- Gigi Lai, singer and TVB actress
- Lai Lok-yi, Hong Kong singer
- Lai Man-Wai, film director known as Father of Hong Kong Cinema
- Wayne Lai, Hong Kong actor
- Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Li
- Ning Yegao Chinese Personal Names Federal Publications, Singapore, page 176 "黎 Wade: Li"
- 陈明远,Chen Mingyuan 汪宗虎 中国姓氏辞典 - Volume 1 1995- Page 241 "古吕国"之地·春秋时蔡乎侯自上黎徒都下察,也称为折蔡·汉鼻新黎县;椅代改屈蔡州·在今河南 ... 之称; (中国人名大辞典)收录黎氏 50 例·末(百家姓)列为第 262 姓。"