László Paskai, O.F.M.
|Cardinal, Archbishop Emeritus of Esztergom-Budapest|
|Installed||3 March 1987|
|Term ended||7 December 2002|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of S. Teresa al Corso d’Italia|
|Ordination||3 March 1951|
|Created Cardinal||28 June 1988|
|Rank||Archbishop Emeritus of Esztergom-Budapest|
8 May 1927 |
|Coat of arms|
László Paskai (born 8 May 1927 in Szeged, Hungary) is a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and the former archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest. He was one of the cardinal electors who participated in the 2005 papal conclave that selected Pope Benedict XVI.
He was ordained a priest at the age of 23, on 3 March 1951, joining the Order of Friars Minor. After his ordaination he did pastoral ministry in the diocese of Nagyvarad before being sent to Budapest for further studies. In Szeged, he served as episcopal master of ceremonies from 1952 to 1955. After this he was a faculty member and librarian of its seminary, 1955–1962. Thereafter serving as prefect of the Interdiocesan Seminary, faculty member and spiritual director until 1965. He later served as a faculty member and spiritual director and finally rector of the Central Seminary, Budapest. On 2 March 1978 he was chosen to become Apostolic Administrator of Veszprém, becoming a bishop that same day, with the titular see of Bavagaliana.
Pope John Paul II appointed him Archbishop of Veszprém on 31 March 1979. He was then appointed to serve as Primate of Hungary and Archbishop of Esztergom on 3 March 1987. He was created Cardinal-Priest of Santa Teresa al Corso d'Italia. In 1993 the dioceses of Esztergom was united with that of Budapest, thus Cardinal Paskai was the first Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest. Cardinal Paskai retired as Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest in 2002.
Since his retirement he has been living in Esztergom-Szentgyörgymező, not far from the St Adalbert basilica. In 2005 Cardinal Paskai became the Spiritual Protector of the Military and Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem (Paris/Orleans Obedience). In the same year he participated in the Papal Conclave which elected Pope Benedict XVI.
- Paskai, Antal: Menekülésünk története 1944–1945 [The Story of our Escape 1944–1945], Budapest, 2009 (In this book, the Cardinal's elder brother recounts their life during the Holocaust.)
- "Ökumene-Feier zur Herzbestattung Habsburgs". Kathweb.at. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "László Cardinal Paskai, O.F.M.". catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- Stirling János, ed. (2003). In virtute spiritus. A Szent István Akadémia emlékkönyve Paskai László bíboros tiszteletére (in Hungarian). Budapest: Szent István Társulat.
- "Paskai László bíboros 80 éves" (in Hungarian). Magyar Katolikus Püspöki Konferencia. 8 May 2007. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Veszprém
31 March 1979 – 5 April 1982
|Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest
3 March 1987 – 7 December 2002