L&L Hawaiian Barbecue
|Founded||Honolulu, Hawaii 1976|
|Western US, New York, Hawaii|
Eddie Flores Jr.
|Products||Hawaiian Plate Lunch|
|Slogan||The Original Hawaiian Barbecue|
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue, or simply L&L and known as L&L Drive-Inn in Hawaii, is a theme franchise restaurant chain based in Honolulu, Hawaii, centered on the Hawaiian plate lunch (Hawaiian: pā mea ʻai).
Johnson Kam and Eddie Flores, Jr., purchased the original L&L Drive-In in 1976. The company expanded from its original base of Hawaii in 1999 into Californian markets. There are approximately 200 locations in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington. Internationally, Otahuhu, New Zealand and Tokyo, Japan.
In 1999. Eddie Flores, Jr. created the term Hawaiian Barbecue (also known as Hawaiian BBQ) when he expanded to the mainland with the intention of giving mainland American customers a better idea of the Hawaiian plate lunch cuisine and to draw excitement from the popularity of Hawaii. Flores and his partner Johnson Kam are well known in Hawaii for popularizing the plate lunch in Hawaii through their chain of L&L Drive-Inn restaurants.
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue’s success has earned the company many awards and continued rankings in various local and national magazines. In 2002, L&L Hawaiian Barbecue was named one of the “50 Regional Powerhouse Chains” by Nation's Restaurant News. The July 2005 issue of Restaurant & Institutions Magazine ranked L&L #314 out of America’s top 400 restaurant chains. Additionally, Restaurant Business magazine ranked L&L #15 of its 50 Top Growth Chains in the Nation in 2005. Entrepreneur magazine has also ranked L&L’s parent company, L&L Franchise, Inc. at #165 out of the top 500 franchises in 2005.
- Staton, Ron (2004-08-21). "100th L&L opens in California". Honolulu Advertiser.
- Hua, Vanessa (2003-07-03). "BAY AREA / More venues offer diners a taste of Hawaii, close by / Diverse population drawn to food that's similar to homeland's". San Francisco Chronicle. p. B-1. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser. "Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Hawaii News - Weather - Traffic". Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "L&L Hawaiian Barbecue - About Us". Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- "L&L Hawaiian Barbecue - International". Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "L&L Opens Tokyo Restaurant". Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "About L&L". hawaiianbarbecue.com. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Lynch, Russ (1999-11-26). "L&L Drive-Inn restaurateur seeking mainland meal ticket". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved 2006-10-12.
- Nakaso, Dan (2005-08-09). "Plate lunches conquer Mainland". Honolulu Advertiser. Retrieved 2006-10-12.
- "Watch Your Step!". Restaurant Business Magazine. 2005-07-01. Archived from the original on 2006-08-30. Retrieved 2006-11-01.