|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Directed by||Safy Nebbou|
|Produced by||Film Oblige (Frank Le Wita and Marc de Bayser)|
|Written by||Gilles Taurand
The Council of Black Associations of France criticized the decision to cast the fair-skinned Gérard Depardieu to play the part of Dumas, who "was the grandson of a Haitian slave and often referred to himself as a negro."
February 1848. Alexandre Dumas (Gérard Depardieu) is at the height of his fame. He has withdrawn for a few days into the immense Château de Monte-Cristo near Le Port-Marly, that he is building. There he works with his collaborator, Auguste Maquet, (Benoît Poelvoorde). If the books bear Dumas' name, the tiring work undertaken by Maquet is colossal. Nevertheless, for ten years, Maquet has remained in the great man's shadow and never challenged his supremacy. When a quarrel breaks out between the two men, after Maquet passes himself off as Dumas in order to seduce Charlotte (Mélanie Thierry), - a crucial question presents itself: what is the exact part each man has in the work's success. Who is the father of d'Artagnan, and of Monte Cristo? In short, who is really the author? Their relationship, so peaceful until this point is placed in doubt and topples over into confrontation. And not far away, in Paris, a revolution is building which will seal the fate of another relationship—that of Louis-Philippe— with the people of France.
- Gérard Depardieu - Alexandre Dumas
- Benoît Poelvoorde - Auguste Maquet
- Dominique Blanc - Céleste Scriwaneck
- Catherine Mouchet - Caroline Maquet
- Mélanie Thierry - Charlotte Desrives
- Jean-Christophe Bouvet - M.Bocquin
- Philippe Magnan - Guizot
- Florence Pernel - Ida Ferrier Dumas
- Christian Abart - Inspecteur Flanchet
- Michel Duchaussoy - Sub-prefect Crémieux
- Roger Dumas - M. de Saint Omer
- Ophélia Kolb - Marion
- Kirby, Emma Jane (19 February 2010). "Dumas film with white actor Depardieu sparks race row". BBC News. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
|This article related to a French film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a biographical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|