L'International des Feux Loto-Québec
L'International des Feux Loto-Québec, also known as the Montreal Fireworks Festival, is a major international fireworks competition. (It was formerly known as Le Mondial SAQ, and l'International Benson & Hedges.) It has been held yearly in La Ronde over the Dolphins lake, since 1985, and is named after its main sponsor, Loto-Québec. The display is hailed as the most prestigious and largest fireworks festival in the world. It hosts an estimated 3 million each year, with approximately 6,000 fireworks set off during each show.
Each summer, eight or nine pyrotechnical companies from different countries present a 30-minute long pyromusical show, competing for the Gold, Silver and Bronze Jupiters or trophies.
For the 20th anniversary in 2004, eight of the previous top competitors (all of whom had won the Gold Jupiter) were invited to fight for the unique Platinum Jupiter in June and July 2004, which was won in the end by the German company WECO.
The competition takes the form of a series of biweekly fireworks shows usually beginning in late June and ending in late July. The fireworks are synchronized to music which is also broadcast over a provincial radio station (RockDétente in 2005, Rythme FM 2006-onwards). Spectators can purchase tickets to have reserved seats in La Ronde: they can buy them on site, on-line or through the Admission group to obtain an exceptional view of the lower altitude display and the whole perspective. However, tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people watch the fireworks for free from nearby locations (see Where to watch). In 2009 and 2010, the shows have been held on Saturday nights only, from June to August, however in 2011 shows were again held on Wednesdays and Saturdays beginning end of June until end of July.
|Year||Gold Jupiter||Silver Jupiter||Bronze Jupiter|
|1989||Germany||United States||Spain & Canada|
|2009||Canada||Hong Kong, China||United States|
* Not awarded.
Gold Jupiter winning teams
- 2014: Canada (Fireworks Spectaculars and Royal Pyrotechnie Colab )
- 2013: Italy (Pyroemotions - Prodigit Team)
- 2012: United States (Atlas Pyrovision Productions)
- 2011: Italy (Pirotecnica Morsani SRL)
- 2010: Canada (Fireworks Spectaculars)
- 2009: Canada (Royal Pyrotechnie)
- 2008: United States (Pyrotecnico) 
- 2007: England (Pains Fireworks) 
- 2006: United States (Melrose Pyrotechnics)
- 2005: Argentina (Fuegos Artificiales Júpiter)
- 2004: Germany - Platinum Jupiter (WECO)
- 2003: Canada (Royal Pyrotechnie)
- 2002: France (Société Lacroix-Ruggieri)
- 2001: Spain (Pirotècnia Igual)
- 2000: Germany (Weco Pyrotechnische Fabrik)
- 1999: United States (Performance Pyrotechnic Associates)
- 1998: United States (Performance Pyrotechnic Associates)
- 1997: Italy (Ipon s.r.l.)
- 1996: United States (Performance Pyrotechnic Associates)
- 1995: Netherlands (JNS Pyrotechniek)
- 1994: United States (Performance Pyrotechnic Associates)
- 1993: Spain (Pirotecnia Caballer)
- 1992: China (Sunny International)
- 1991: United States (Pyrotechnology Inc.)
- 1990: France (Société Étienne Lacroix)
- 1989: Germany (Lünig Feuerwerk Stuttgart)
- 1988: Spain (Pirotècnia Igual)
- 1987: United States (Austin Fireworks, Inc.)
- 1986: Spain (Pirotecnia Caballer)
- 1985: France (Société Étienne Lacroix)
Summer 2014 schedule
- Saturday June 28: Opening 2014
- Saturday July 5: Italy
- Saturday July 12: Spain
- Wednesday July 16: Canada
- Saturday July 19: United States
- Wednesday July 23: France
- Saturday July 26: Australia
- Saturday August 2: Tribute to Pink Floyd
Where to watch
Although the fireworks are shot at La Ronde on Île Sainte-Hélène, they can easily be seen from many points in the Montreal area: elsewhere on Île Sainte-Hélène; Longueuil; on the Jacques Cartier Bridge, which is closed to traffic from around 8 p.m. until the end of the show; the Old Port of Montreal; or locations along the side or on a boat on the Saint Lawrence River.
- "L'International des Feux Loto-Québec presented by TELUS". Internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com. Retrieved 2012-06-30.