L'arbore di Diana
|Vicente Martín y Soler|
L'arbore di Diana (The Tree of Diana), is an opera in two acts composed by Vicente Martín y Soler, with an original libretto by Lorenzo da Ponte. It premiered at the court theatre in Vienna on 1 October 1787.
Background and performance history
Da Ponte's librettos for L'arbore di Diana and Così fan tutte were the only ones of his not taken from an existing plot. The opera's premiere on 1 October 1787 marked the wedding of Joseph II's niece, the Archduchess Maria Teresa to Prince Anton Clemens of Saxony. The work was enormously successful in its day, but Martín's operas have since fallen from the repertoire. A revival was performed during the 2007/2008 season at the Theater Bielefeld in North Rhine Westphalia, Germany. The opera was revived and recorded in Valencia in 2008 at the Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía and in Barcelona in 2009 at the Gran Teatre del Liceu.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere Cast
1 October 1787
|Silvio||tenor||Nicolò del Sole|
- Soler: L'arbore di Diana – Laura Alkin (Diana), Michael Maniaci (Amore), Ainhoa Gramendia (Britomarte/Genio 1), Marisa Martins (Clizia/Genio 2), Jossie Perez (Cloe/Genio 3), Charles Workman (Silvio), Steve Davislim (Endimione), Marco Vinco (Doristo); Gran Teatre del Liceu Orchestra and Chorus; Harry Bicket (conductor); Francisco Negrin (director). Recorded Barcelona, 2009. Label: Dynamic DVD 33651
L'arbore di Diana, critical edition by Leonardo Waisman, IBERAUTOR/ICCMU. Madrid, 2001. ISBN 84-8048-379-2
- Holden, p.95
- Operabase Diary: Bielefeld
- Premiere cast from Casaglia (2005)
- Casaglia, Gherardo (2005), "L'arbore di Diana". Almanacco Amadeus. Retrieved 25 February 2013 (Italian).
- Anthony Holden, Lorenzo Da Ponte, The Man Who Wrote Mozart (2006)
- Jesson, Roy (1972). "Martin's L'arbore di Diana", The Musical Times, Vol. 113, No. 1552 (June, 1972), pp. 551-553 (subscription required)