L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University
|L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University|
|Established||May 23, 1996|
The L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University (Kazakh: Л.Н. Гумилев атындағы Еуразия ұлттық университеті; Russian: Евразийский национальный университет имени Л.Н. Гумилёва), also referred simply as Eurasian National University or ENU, is a national university in Astana, Kazakhstan. It is ranked as the top university in Kazakhstan by the QS World University Rankings. It is named after Lev Gumilyov, an outstanding scientist-Eurasian, turkologist.
- 1 Description
- 2 History
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Faculties
- 5 Research units
- 6 International cooperation
- 7 Museums
- 8 Rectors
- 9 Notes
- 10 External links
L.N. Gumilyov ENU includes 26 scientific institutions (research institutes, laboratories, centers), 13 faculties, the Institute for Additional Education and Professional Development, the Military Department, and cultural and educational centers of different countries. The system of specialist training at Eurasian National University is conducted on 3 levels of education: basic higher education (Bachelor's programme), the Master's programme and PhD doctorate.
Admission to L.N. Gumilyov ENU is carried out on the basis of state educational grants and on a contractual basis. The university prepares specialists in 61 specialties on baccalaureate, 64 on master studies and 29 on doctoral studies. The number of students in Eurasian National University at the beginning of the 2013-2014 academic years was approximately 13.000 people. There are 1,678 lecturers at faculties and research units, 61.3 per cent of whom are Doctors of Science, professors, and corresponding members of various academies, winners of the State Prize of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Candidates of Sciences, and Assistant Professors. The names of many scientists of the University are known not only in Kazakhstan but also abroad. Since July 2011, Yerlan Battashevich Sydykov is the Rector of L.N. Gumilyov ENU, Doctor of historical sciences, Professor, Academician of International Academy of Pedagogical Education.
L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University was founded on May 23, 1996, on the initiative of Nursultan Nazarbayev, the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, on the basis of joining of two universities, Tselinograd Engineering-Construction Institute (TECI) and Tselinograd Pedagogical Institute. The University was granted a special status of national by the Presidential Decree from July 5, 2001, “considering the significant contribution to the development and professional formation of a person on the basis of national and universal values, science and technology”. It is highly symbolic that the University was named after a distinguished thinker, turkologist and true Eurasian, Lev Nikolayevich Gumilyov.
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian University (May 23, 1996)
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan (October 24, 2000, no. 1589)
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan on renaming of several higher educational institutions (June 29, 2001 no. 892)
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on conferring of special status to individual state institutions of higher education (July 5, 2001 no. 648)
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on issues of state higher educational institutions, the first heads of which are appointed to positions and relieved by the president of the republic Kazakhstan (April 21, 2008 no. 573)
- The charter of the Republican state enterprise “L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University” of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan approved by the Order of the Chairman of the Committee of State property and privatization of the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan ( September 3, 2009, No. 483)
- Certificate ISO 9001:2000.
- L.N. Gumilyov ENU has been considered a higher educational institution of the international level since 2000.
- Kazakhstan Branch of M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University was opened on the basis of the Eurasian National University in 2000.
- Study-Museum of Lev Gumilyov was opened at ENU on the initiative of M. Zholdasbekov, Rector, on October 1, 2002.
- The bust of the Eurasian was mounted at educational and administrative building of ENU in September 2008.
- XI Congress of the Eurasian Association of Universities was held in ENU at March 10, 2009.
- In 2012, the Eurasian National University will become the Centre of Commemorative Celebrations, devoted to the 100th anniversary of the birth of Lev Gumilyov.
According to the QS World University Rankings, which is published separately from Times Higher Education, L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University is ranked among the top 450 leading universities of the world. According to the results of the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University is the leader among higher educational institutions in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. In July 2011, L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University holds 4,082 position out of 12,000 positions in the rating. The University held 5,216 position on January, 2011, and 7,891 position on July, 2010.
- Faculty of Information Technologies
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Philology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics
- Faculty of Journalism and Political Science
- Faculty of Transport and Energy
- Faculty of Architecture and Construction
- Faculty of International Relations
- Faculty of Physics and Technical Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of History
- Military Department
- Geotechnical scientific research institute;
- Expert scientific research institute;
- Research and design laboratory "Technology, mechanization and automation of building and transport processes".
- The Eurasian mathematical institute;
- Institute of theoretical mathematics and scientific computations;
- Institute for Basic Research;
- Institute of physics and high technologies;
- Eurasian international center of theoretical physics;
- The Research Institute of bioorganic chemistry;
- The Research institute of Bioorganic Chemistry;
- Institute of cell biology and biochemical technology;
- Institute of experimental biology and ecology;
- Engineering laboratory of L.N. Gumilyev Eurasian National University
- The research center of humanitarian researches "Eurasia";
- Research Centre “Otyrar Kitapkhanasy”
- “Alash” Institute of Culture and Spiritual Heritage;
- The Research institute of archeology named after K.A. Akishev;
- Konfusyi institute;
- Turkology and altaistics research centre;
- Laboratory of Intercultural Communication and Applied Linguistics.
- Laboratory for Sociology and Urban Studies;
- RSI legal research and expertise of draft law;
- Institute on research of problems of journalism;
- Econometrics Scientifically and Research Laboratory;
- Center for International and Regional Studies;
- Institute of modern research.
According to data from November 2011, approximately 120 agreements and memoranda of scientific and educational institutions around the world were signed by the university. L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University is a full member of organizations such as the Eurasian Association of Universities and the International Association of Universities. In 2005, L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University signed the Magna Carta of the Universities. Participant of Network Open University (SU) and the University of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO University).
Museum of Turkic Script
The Museum of Turkic Script of L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University is a scientific, educational-auxiliary and cultural-educational unit of the university. It opened on September 18, 2003. Exhibits of the museum of the history of Turkic script are focused on learning the history of letters. Gathered here is the rich heritage of world culture-samples used by Turkic peoples of the Eurasian space. The co-founders of the nomadic Eurasian civilization of Turkic peoples in history have suggested the idea of "Eternal Ale". They spoke the 26 related languages that originated from one root, and used 16 writing systems since ancient times. The first Turkic words were recorded in letters and became the basis for the further evolution of the Turkic language system back in the 5th and 4th centuries BC. Among the valuable exhibits of the museum are inscriptions on stones of different periods, from the Kangly era (2nd century BC) until the 19th century. They were brought from Mongolia, Xian, and Altai.
Study-museum of L.N. Gumilyov
Study-museum of L.N. Gumilyov at Eurasian National University opened on October 1, 2002. Investigators of the scholar’s creativity, such as E. Dilmukhamedova, M. Novgorodova, M. Kozyreva, V. Bilichenko, E. Maslova, assisted in the establishment of the museum. In 2004, Nataliya Gumilyova, L.N. Gumilyov’s wife, bequeathed to the Eurasian National University the Moscow Office of the scientist: a desktop, a printing machine where the scientist published his works (“Continental”), an arm-chair, a bookcase, books, photographs and various memorial objects (sculptures, vases, bottles).
The foundation of the study-museum contains personal records and books from the personal library of Lev Gumilyov, books that he authored (a treatise «Этногенез и биосфера Земли» (“Ethnogenesis and the biosphere of the Earth”), «Степная Трилогия» (“Steppe Trilogy”), «Древняя Русь и Великая степь» (“Ancient Rus and Great steppe”), «Открытие Хазарии» (“Discovery of Hazariya”), «Тысячелетие вокруг Каспия» (“Millennium around the Caspian Sea”), «Арабески истории» (“Arabesque of history”, etc.), photographs of various archaeological expeditions, films about the scientist, video tapes with records of tele-cycles on the history of the Turkic peoples and peoples of Central Asia and the funeral of Lev Gumilyov (June 20, 1992). The study-museum is attended annually by dozens of foreign delegations, hundreds of thousands of statesmen, scientists, students, young researchers. The museum room is used as the acting laboratory of the Department of Eurasian Studies. On October 1, 2012, the University is going to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of the scientist, the author of the theory of passionarism Lev Gumilyov.
- Amangeldy Kussainov (1996–2000)
- Myrzatai Zholdasbekov (2000–2004)
- Sarsengali Abdymanapov (2004–2008)
- Bakhyrzhan Abdraim (2008–2011)
- Yerlan Sydykov (2011–present)
- ENU. "About University". Retrieved January 10, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University.|
- Official website (Kazakh) / (Russian) / (English) / (Turkish) / (Chinese) / (Arabic)
- L.N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University on Twitter