L. R. G. Treloar
|Professor Leslie R. G. Treloar|
|Born||30 July 1906|
|Died||18 March 1985 (aged 78)|
|Occupation||Professor of Polymer & Fibre Science|
Leslie Ronald George Treloar graduated in Physics from University College, Reading, in 1927 and subsequently joined GEC. He gained his PhD from the University of London (external degree) in 1938. After working for GEC he moved to the British Rubber Producers Research Association. He worked briefly at the Telecommunications Research Establishment during World War II.
He was awarded the Colwyn Medal “for outstanding services to the rubber industry of a scientific, technical or engineering character” in 1961, and the Swinburne Award for his “outstanding contribution to the advancement and knowledge of any field related to the science, engineering or technology of plastics” in 1970. He also was awarded the A. A. Griffith Medal and Prize in 1972.
He became Professor of Polymer & Fibre Science in the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology in 1966 and retired in 1974.
Treloar published many texts and papers, of which the following is a selection:
- L R G Treloar (1 May 1936), A method of measuring secondary-electron emission from filaments, Proceedings of the Physical Society 48 (3): 488–497, Bibcode:1936PPS....48..488T, doi:10.1088/0959-5309/48/3/316
- L R G Treloar (1 July 1937), Secondary-electron emission from complex surfaces, Proceedings of the Physical Society 49 (4): 392–408, Bibcode:1937PPS....49..392T, doi:10.1088/0959-5309/49/4/310
- L R G Treloar; D H Landon (1 September 1938), Secondary-electron emission from nickel, cobalt and iron as a function of temperature, Proceedings of the Physical Society 50 (5): 625–634, Bibcode:1938PPS....50..625T, doi:10.1088/0959-5309/50/5/301
- L R G Treloar (1942), The structure and elasticity of rubber, Reports on Progress in Physics 9 (1): 113–136, Bibcode:1942RPPh....9..113T, doi:10.1088/0034-4885/9/1/312
- L R G Treloar (1 September 1943), The statistical length of paraffin molecules, Proceedings of the Physical Society 55 (5): 345–361, Bibcode:1943PPS....55..345T, doi:10.1088/0959-5309/55/5/301
- L R G Treloar (1944). "Stress-strain data for vulcanised rubber under various types of deformation". Trans. Faraday Soc. 40: 59–70. doi:10.1039/TF9444000059.
- L R G Treloar (1946). "The elasticity of a network of long-chain molecules.—III". Trans. Faraday Soc. 49: 392. doi:10.1039/TF9464200083.
- L R G Treloar (1 February 1948), Stresses and Birefringence in Rubber subjected to General Homogeneous Strain, Proceedings of the Physical Society 60 (2): 135–144, Bibcode:1948PPS....60..135T, doi:10.1088/0959-5309/60/2/303
- N Wilson; L R G Treloar (April 1961), Rubber models of yarns and cords; the 'doubling' of single rods, British Journal of Applied Physics 12 (4): 147–154, Bibcode:1961BJAP...12..147W, doi:10.1088/0508-3443/12/4/306
- L R G Treloar (July 1962), Rubber models of yarns and cords: continuum theory, British Journal of Applied Physics 13 (7): 314–322, Bibcode:1962BJAP...13..314T, doi:10.1088/0508-3443/13/7/304
- Boyce, P.H.; Treloar, L.R.G. (1970). "The thermoelasticity of natural rubber in torsion". Polymer 11 (1): 21–30. doi:10.1016/0032-3861(70)90059-5.
- H Wright; C S N Faraday; E F T White; L R G Treloar (December 1971), The elastic constants of oriented glassy polymers, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 4 (12): 2002–2014, Bibcode:1971JPhD....4.2002W, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/4/12/325
- L R G Treloar (1972), The social responsibilities of the scientist, Review of Physics in Technology 3 (1): 65–65, doi:10.1088/0034-6683/3/1/103
- J D Wilson; L R G Treloar (September 1972), The anisotropic thermal expansivity of oriented Perspex, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 5 (9): 1614–1620, Bibcode:1972JPhD....5.1614W, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/5/9/317
- L R G Treloar (July 1973), The elasticity and related properties of rubbers, Reports on Progress in Physics 36 (7): 755–826, Bibcode:1973RPPh...36..755T, doi:10.1088/0034-4885/36/7/001
- D F Jones; L R G Treloar (1 August 1975), The properties of rubber in pure homogeneous strain, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 8 (11): 1285–1304, Bibcode:1975JPhD....8.1285J, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/8/11/007
- H Vangerko; L R G Treloar (1 October 1978), The inflation and extension of rubber tube for biaxial strain studies, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 11 (14): 1969–1978, Bibcode:1978JPhD...11.1969V, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/11/14/009
- L R G Treloar (1987). Non-Gaussian Theory of rubber in bi-axial strain. Manchester University Department of Computer Science.
- John Grant (1970). Who's who of British scientists. Longman. ISBN 978-0-582-11464-7. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- Polymer. IPC Science and Technology Press. 1987. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- Collected papers of R.S. Rivlin, Volume 1 By Ronald S. Rivlin, G. I. Barenblatt, Daniel D. Joseph
- "Awards in Polymers". The Polymer Society. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- L R G Treloar; Alexander Simpson Dunn (1974). Rubber and rubber elasticity: a symposium held at the University of Manchester, England, March 27 and 28, 1974, in honor of Professor L R G Treloar, to mark his retirement from the Department of Polymer and Fibre Science in the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-22697-0. Retrieved 23 February 2011.