L0 Series Shinkansen
A 5-car set undergoing test-running, September 2013
|Manufacturer||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nippon Sharyo|
|Number under construction||14 cars|
|Line(s) served||Chuo Shinkansen|
|Maximum speed||500 km/h (310 mph)|
The L0 series (L0系 L0-kei?, pronounced "L zero") is a high-speed maglev train undergoing testing by the Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central) for eventual use on the Chuo Shinkansen under construction between Tokyo and Osaka in Japan. 14 pre-production vehicles are being built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Nippon Sharyo, a subsidiary of JR Central.
The first L0 series vehicle was delivered to the Yamanashi Maglev Test Line and unveiled to the press in November 2012. The first five vehicles were linked up and placed on the guideway in June 2013.
The first 5-car train began test-running at the 42.8 km (26.6 mi) Yamanashi Maglev Test Line in June 2013, following completion of extension and upgrade work at the facility, earlier than the originally scheduled September date. The maximum speed of test runs was scheduled to be gradually increased, reaching 500 km/h by the end of July 2013.
The five-car train was lengthened to seven cars in September 2013, and test-running as a 12-car formation commenced on 25 June 2014.
The train is scheduled to be reverted to a 7-car formation after summer 2014, and will be used for public preview rides from November.
- "リニア試乗１１月再開 ＪＲ東海 有料２５００円程度で" [JR Central to resume maglev rides - costing around 2,500 yen]. The Yamanashi Nichinichi Shimbun - Web Edition (in Japanese). Japan: The Yamanashi Nichinichi Shimbun. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "リニア新車両は三菱重工と日本車輌製造に内定 ＪＲ東海社長" [Maglev vehicles to be built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Nippon Sharyo - JR Central President] (in Japanese). Japan: Sankei Shimbun. 21 December 2010. Archived from the original on 23 December 2010. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "JR Tokai unveils a model for the new high-speed maglev train ‘L0′". Daily Onigiri. DailyOnigiri.com. 4 November 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "リニア新型車両「Ｌ０系」を初公開 ＪＲ東海が山梨の実験線に搬入" [New L0 series maglev car unveiled, delivered to Yamanashi Test Track]. Sankei Biz (in Japanese). Japan: Sankei Digital Inc. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Prototype of high-speed maglev train shown to public". Asahi Shimbun, 2013-06-03.
- "７月中にも最高時速５００キロに 新型車両「Ｌ０系」" [New L0 series trains to reach 500 km/h during July]. Chunichi Web (in Japanese). Japan: The Chunichi Shimbun. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "リニア、きょうからＬ０系試験 １２両編成で走行" [Maglev L0 to start testing from today as 12-car formation]. The Yamanashi Nichinichi Shimbun - Web Edition (in Japanese). The Yamanashi Nichinichi Shimbun. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to L0 series.|
- JR Central press release (Part 1) (26 October 2010) (Japanese)
- JR Central press release (Part 2) (26 October 2010) (Japanese)