LA Shorts Fest
|Los Angeles International Short Film Festival (LA Shorts Fest)|
|Location||Los Angeles, California, USA|
The Los Angeles International Short Film Festival (LA Shorts Fest) founded by Robert Arentz in 1997 ranks among the most prestigious and one of the largest international short film festivals in the world with more 280 films screening annually. Lasting a week in Los Angeles California, the festival includes the viewing of short films, educational panels, and parties which include an award ceremony honoring the films chosen by a jury. The festival is accredited by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, award winners are eligible for Academy nomination. LA Shorts Fest is also an official qualifying event for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) short film awards. This means that award-winners at the festival are eligible to win BAFTA's. The LA Shorts Fest attracts more than 8,000 moviegoers, filmmakers, and entertainment professionals annually.
LA Shorts Fest alumni includes Tim Burton, Bryan Singer, Paul Haggis, Shane Black, Jason Reitman, John Woo, Tony Scott, David Lynch, Joe Carnahan, Louis D'Esposito, Terry Gilliam, Jon Favreau, Scarlett Johansson, Vin Diesel, Hilary Swank, Demi Moore, Courteney Cox, Jessica Biel, Kirsten Dunst, Ralph Macchio, Ricky Gervais and many more.
Films are screened and selected by a panel of jurors who vote on the final nominated film selections. Past jurors have included Ben Affleck, James Franco, Sandra Oh, Faye Dunaway, Thora Birch, Paula Wagner, and Julian McMahon.
- BEST OF FEST (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST FOREIGN FILM (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST DRAMA (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST COMEDY (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST ANIMATION (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST EXPERIMENTAL (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST DOCUMENTARY (Academy Qualifying)
- BEST MUSIC VIDEO
Those who have been honored in the festival include Hollywood legends Charles Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Robert Wise. Many recognized actors have screened films and attended the festival such as Scarlett Johansson, Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher, Courteney Cox,Martin Landau, James Woods, Gary Oldman, and directors Jan de Bont, Tim Burton, Bryan Singer, Paul Haggis and Jon Favreau.
Venues: LA Shorts Fest History Dates & Venues
- Year 1, October 3–5, 1997 - Venue: Barnsdall Art Park
- Year 2, September 11–13, 1998 - Venues: Writers Guild Theater & Barnsdall Art Park
- Year 3, October 1–3, 1999 - Venues: Writers Guild Theater & Barnsdall Art Park
- Year 4, October 5–8, 2000 - Venues: Writers Guild Theater & Los Angeles Film School Theater
- Year 5, October 3–8, 2001 - Venues: El Rey Theater & Los Angeles Film School Theater
- Year 6, October 15–20, 2002 - Venues: ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas & Los Angeles Film School
- Year 7, September 16–22, 2003 - Venue: ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas
- Year 8, September 7–13, 2004 - Venue: ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas
- Year 9, September 6–13, 2005 Venue: ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas
- Year 10, September 5–14, 2006 Venue: ArcLight Hollywood Cinemas
- Year 11, September 5–17, 2007 Venues AMC Burbank 16 & AMC Burbank Town Center 6
- Year 12, August 15–21, 2008 Venue: Laemmle Sunset 5 Hollywood
- Year 13, July 23–31, 2009 Venue: Laemmle Sunset 5 Hollywood
- Year 14, July 22–30, 2010 Venue: Laemmle Sunset 5 Hollywood
- Year 15, July 21-29, 2011 Venue: Laemmle Sunset 5 Hollywood
- Year 16, September 16-13, 2012 Venue: Laemmle NoHo 7 N. Hollywood
- Year 17, September 5-12, 2013 Venue: Laemmle NoHo 7 N. Hollywood