|Founded||Stockholm, Sweden (2002)|
|Founder(s)||Eric Kalen, Carl Magnuson, Filip Sedic|
|Key people||Miroslav Slavic (CEO)|
LELO (LELOi AB) is a Swedish intimate lifestyle company that designs, develops and manufactures upmarket sex toys, BDSM accessories, and lingerie and massage products. The only sex toy company to keep all design- and manufacturing processes in-house, LELO is the recipient of more than 20 industry awards as well as two-time winner of the Red Dot Design Award.
In 2002 industrial designers Eric Kalén and Carl Magnuson and engineer Filip Sedic founded LELO. The three registered a limited liability company in September 2003 as LELO LLC. Employing just 10 people in its Stockholm headquarters in their founding year, LELO presently has over 600 employees with offices in the US, Australia, Asia and Europe. It is currently a leading producer of high-quality sex toys and intimate lifestyle products, selling in over 40 international markets.
The company has experienced rapid growth, more than doubling its sales volume yearly since its foundation, and the company's products retail on average above $100 USD for a vibrator. On June 9, 2010 LELO expanded its products to include bedroom accessories such as cuffs, ties, and blindfolds. The expansion continued later that year when LELO came out with massage oils, candles and their own water-based personal moisturizer.
Continuing their expansion, on February 4, 2011 LELO launched Sussurra, their own line of silk lingerie and loungewear. On November 22, 2011, the LELO group launched PicoBong, a brand that caters to younger demographics with colorful designs and a lower price point.
Design and innovation
LELO has taken a non-traditional approach to the design and manufacture of sex toys, utilizing high design concepts that are non-representational of the sexual anatomy of the human body, a style that is now widely adopted across the sex toy industry. The company has been recognized for pioneering creations in the adult industry, including the first couples’ toys with motion controller functions from their SenseMotion™ line, as well as the first sex toys to employ tactile sensing, the Smart Wands.
After an armed robbery of a sex toy store in Brasilia, Brazil aimed at stealing a YVA, a 24-Karat gold vibrator of LELO LUXE collection of ultra-luxury massagers, LELO installed display versions of LUXE items with GPS tracking chips to prevent possible future incidents.
Since the development and sale of the first LELO product in 2003, LELO has gone on to segment their sex toy selection into four distinct catalogs. The FEMME and HOMME collections are made up of sex toys catering to women and men, respectively, while the Insignia range is composed of higher-end and more design-oriented sex toys, including the SenseMotion Insignia couples’ massagers with wireless remote controls as well as the Smart Wands all-over body massagers with tactile-sensing SenseTouch™ technology.
The LUXE collection includes LELO personal massager designs cast in 24-Karat gold or stainless steel, and are among the world’s most expensive sex toys offered at retail, ranging in price from $2,590.00USD to $15,000.00USD.
The company holds patents on its designs and associated technology.
Marketing and distribution
On February 25, 2009 LELO partnered with Walgreens to make the LELO products available in all of their drugstore locations in the United States. On April 29, 2009, the Wynn Las Vegas hotel’s lingerie boutique Black Satin announced that it picked up the LELO Luxe line of 24 karat gold-plated sex toys. On May 22, 2010, the Swedish state-owned pharmacy chain Apoteket also announced that it would be carrying a limited range of LELO products. A month later, LELO announced its collaboration with the trend-setting Ron Robinson boutique at the world-famous Fred Segal shopping center in Hollywood. LELO is sold internationally in exclusive boutiques such as Kiki de Montparnasse in New York, Coco De Mer in London, Zou Zou in Rome, Le Printemps in Paris, Galeries Lafayette in Berlin, and POM POM parlor in PUB - a well known department store in central Stockholm.
On May 13, 2011 Brookstone announced they would begin to feature the Lily, Siri, Gigi and Alia personal massagers and the Flickering Touch line of massage oils and candles in select retail locations, and in their online store. LELO and Brookstone launched the partnership at The Venetian, Las Vegas, where they also showcased the LELO Sussurra collection of intimate apparel.
LELO “Pleasure Objects” and Sussurra lingerie have been featured in many popular media publications, such as Cosmopolitan (magazine), Elle (magazine), Women's Health (magazine), Glamour (magazine), Men’s Health (magazine), Playboy (magazine), GQ (magazine), Forbes (magazine), Esquire (magazine), Maxim (magazine), Wired (magazine), T3 (magazine) and the New York Times.
Awards and recognition
- 2009 – Outstanding Pleasure Product (BO cock ring), AVN ‘O’ Awards
- 2010 – Outstanding Product Packaging, AVN ‘O’ Awards
- 2010 – Best New Toy (SIRI clitoral vibrator), East Coast News Industry Awards
- 2011 – Best New Exhibitor (Sussurra Lingerie), Fashion Exposed
- 2011 – Best Large Sex Toy Company, AVN ‘O’ Awards
- 2011 – Best Products in Australia, Eros Shine Awards
- 2011 – Best Selling Products, Eros Shine Awards
- 2011 – Most Innovative Product (Soraya Rabbit Vibrator), X’Show
- 2011 – Best Product Packaging, XBIZ Awards
- 2012 – Best Product Packaging, Erotic Trade Only Awards
- 2012 – Best Products in Australia, Eros Shine Awards
- 2012 – Outstanding Product Design (Tiani Couples’ Massager), Red Dot Design Awards
- 2013 – Best Products in Australia, Eros Shine Awards
- 2013 – Outstanding Product Design (Smart Wands Body Massager), Red Dot Design Awards
- 2013 – Awards - Best Product Line for Women (Insignia), AVN Awards
- 2014 – Luxury Toy/Line of the Year (Tara), XBIZ Awards
- Vibrators Carry the Conversation, The New York Times
- Company Profile 21306, SB Wire
- A Guide to the New Luxury Sex Toys, Times Online
- Sex Toy Sales are Booming, The New York Times
- LELO Launches Adventurous Accessories Line for Light, Luxurious Sensual Teasing, Marketwire, 06/09/2010
- LELO Launches Luxurious New Massage Line with Personal Lubricant, PR.com, 10/15/2010
- LELO Launches Sussurra Collection of Silk Lingerie and Loungewear, Lingerie Journal, 02/04/2011
- PicoBong to Launch E-Shop, Business.AVN.com
- These Designs Are Really Sexy: The Best Sex Tech in Vegas, Switched.com
- Robbery Has LELO Considering GPS Tracking for Luxe Line
- Staff. "U.S. Patent Office Rejects We-Vibe Patent Claims Against LELO". Adult Video News. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Walgreens to Carry Sensual Wellness Products by LELO, Bloomberg.com
- LELO at The Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas, PR Web, 04/29/2009
- LELO Products to be Sold in Swedish State-Owned Pharmacy, Apoteket, PR Newswire, 05/22/2008
- Ron Robinson at Fred Segal Boutique Now Offers LELO Intimate Products, Reuters, 06/24/2010
- LELO LUXE to Walk the Red Carpet in Cannes, PR Web
- Prestigious Surroundings Offer Perfect Showcase for New SenseMotion Insignia Lyla, Yahoo! News
- LELO Press
- XBIZ Award
- XBIZ Award Winners 2014, XBIZ, January, 2014