LGBT History Project
The LGBT History Project is an LGBT online encyclopaedia for the United Kingdom It was created in June 2011 by Jonathan Harbourne using MediaWiki software. Content is published under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence.
Sport is one of the themes of the site, reflecting its origins in connection with 'London 2018', the campaign to bring the Gay Games/Outgames to London in 2018. However it now seeks to cover all aspects of LGBT life in the UK, from the earliest times to the present day. The Project's logo is a time capsule, reflecting the aim of preserving for future generations the history of LGBT people, institutions, and events that would otherwise be forgotten. Indeed it has recorded a number of LGBT organisations, and venues such as gay pubs, that have disappeared and have needed to be uncovered in archived defunct websites or old newspaper cuttings. While following in large part the approach laid down by Wikipedia, it has a much more relaxed approach to notability, and will cover any UK LGBT-related subject for which a record exists.
In terms of geographical coverage, its articles cover the four countries of the United Kingdom, plus the Crown Dependencies (Isle of Man and Channel Islands) with the aim of having an article for every local authority area or significant town.
- "LGBT History Project". LGBT London. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "LGBT History Project launch". Bent Magazine. 2011-12-02. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Calum Moss. "LGBT History Month founder excited for 2012 event". Gay Star News. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Tris Reid-Smith (2011-11-23). "New gay history wiki wants your memories". Gay Star News. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Peter Lloyd (2011-11-29). "LGBT History Project launches at London's Oval". DIVA Magazine. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Publié par Marc Naimark (2011-11-26). "Gay Games Blog: Sports connection for UK LGBT History Project wiki". Gaygamesblog.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "File:LGBTHP-time-capsule.jpg". LGBT History UK. 2013-06-22. Retrieved 2013-06-27.