LGBT rights in Antigua and Barbuda
|LGBT rights in Antigua and Barbuda|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Illegal|
|Up to 15 years imprisonment|
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Two sections of the Sexual Offences Act, 1995 relate to same-sex sexual acts:
Section 12. (1) A person who commits buggery is guilty of an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment -
(a) for life, if committed by an adult on a minor;
(b) for fifteen years, if committed by an adult on another adult;
(c) for five years, if committed by a minor.
(2) In this section "buggery" means sexual intercourse per anum by a male person with a male person....
Section 15. (1) A person who commits an act of serious indecency on or towards another is guilty of an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment -
(a) for ten years, if committed on or towards a minor under sixteen years of age;
(b) for five years, if committed an or towards a person sixteen years of age of more....
* * * *
(3) An act of "serious indecency" is an act, other than sexual intercourse (whether natural or unnatural), by a person involving the use of the genital organ for the purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire.
- Politics of Antigua and Barbuda
- LGBT rights in the Commonwealth of Nations
- LGBT rights in the Americas
- LGBT rights by country or territory
- Sexual Offences Act
- Ottosson, Daniel (May 2009). "State-sponsored Homophobia: A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults". International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA). pp. Page 13. Retrieved 19 May 2009.
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related law is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Antigua and Barbuda-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|