LGBT rights in Indiana
|LGBT rights in Indiana|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since 1977|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in the U.S. state of Indiana face some legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Same-sex sexual activity is legal in Indiana, but same-sex couples and families headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for all the protections available to opposite-sex married couples.
 Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Indiana decriminalized same-sex sexual activity in 1977.
 Recognition of same-sex relationships
By statute, Indiana only recognizes marriages between a man and a woman and denies recognition to other forms of same-sex unions.
Annual attempts to adopt a constitutional amendment have failed since 2004. Indiana requires that two separately elected legislatures approve an amendment for it to be put to a popular vote. The proposed amendment passed both houses of the legislature in 2005, and then again in 2011. If passed again in 2013 or 2014, it will become a ballot referendum in 2014.
 Adoption and parenting
Indiana statutes permit single LGBT persons to adopt. The state Court of Appeals ruled in 2006 that unmarried couples, including same-sex couples, may adopt as well. Some local courts have also supported the right of a same-sex partner to adopt his or her same-sex partner's biological or adopted child.
 Discrimination protection
Indiana law does not address discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.
Governor Joe Kernan issued an Executive Order in 2004 protecting state employees from discrimination based on sexual orientation as well as gender identity and expression. In 2005, Governor Mitch Daniels added the terms "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" to the list of protected categories in state employment covered by the state's Equal Employment Opportunity policy.
 Hate crime
Indiana has no hate crimes statute.
- Indiana Sodomy Law
- Indiana Marriage/Relationship Recognition Law
- "Indiana State Senate to take action on marriage amendment," January 15, 2010, accessed April 9, 2011; WISHtv: Jim Shella, "Gay marriage ban goes to Indiana House once again", January 28, 2010, accessed April 9, 2011
- Indianapolis Star: "Indiana Senate approves banning gay marriage," March 29, 2011, accessed April 9, 2011
- Indiana Adoption Law
- Indiana Non-Discrimination Law
- Baptist Press: James Patterson, "'Sexual orientation' policy remains sore spot for Ind. governor," August 5, 2005, accessed April 9, 2011
- Indiana Hate Crimes Law