LGBT rights in Maine
|LGBT rights in Maine|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since 1976
|Discrimination protections||Yes, both sexual orientation and gender identity (see below)|
|Same-sex marriage since 2012
Domestic partnerships since 2004
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in the U.S. state of Maine have some of the same rights and responsibilities as heterosexuals, however may face some legal issues not experienced by non-LGBT residents.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Maine repealed its statutory criminalization of same-sex sexual activity in 1976.
Recognition of same-sex relationships
Maine established domestic partnerships for same-sex couples in April 2004.
On January 26, 2012, a petition for a same-sex marriage initiative was delivered to the Secretary of State with over 105,000, more than needed to qualify for the ballot.
Maine has provided benefits to same-sex partners of state employees since 2001.
Adoption and parenting
Maine law permits single LGBT persons and same-sex couples to petition to adopt.
The Maine Human Rights Act penalizes discrimination in employment, housing, credit, public accommodations and education opportunity on the basis of sexual orientation or "actual or perceived...gender identity or expression."
Maine's hate crimes law explicitly addresses sexual orientation. It does not address violence based on gender identity.
Transgender individuals born in Maine may amend their birth certificates after they have undergone sex-reassignment surgery.
- "Maine Sodomy Law". Hrc.org. 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Maine Marriage/Relationship Recognition Law". Hrc.org. 2009-11-04. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- State of Maine: "Governor Signs LD 1020, An Act to End Discrimination in Civil Marriage and Affirm Religious Freedom," May 6, 2009, accessed February 24, 2012
- Boston Globe: Jenna Russell, "Gay marriage law signed in Maine, advances in N.H.," May 6, 2009, accessed February 24, 2012
- Politico.com: Michael Falcone, "Maine vote repeals gay marriage law," November 4, 2009, accessed February 24, 2012
- CNN: "Maine rejects same-sex marriage law," November 4, 2009, accessed February 24, 2012
- Steve Mistler (January 26, 2012). "It's on: Same-sex marriage supporters give it another try". Lewiston Sun Journal.
- Edith Honan (November 7, 2012). "Maryland, Maine, Washington approve gay marriage". Reutersl.
- National Conference of State Legislatures: "States offering benefits for same-sex partners of state employees", accessed April 16, 2011
- "Maine Adoption Law". Hrc.org. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Maine Non-Discrimination Law". Hrc.org. 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Maine Hate Crimes Law". Hrc.org. 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Maine Birth Certificate Law: Gender Identity Issues". Hrc.org. 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2013-11-02.