LNER Class D49
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|LNER Class D49|
Preserved D49 class no. 246 Morayshire at Doncaster Works
|Builder||LNER Darlington Works|
|UIC classification||2′B h3|
|Gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|3 ft 1 1⁄4 in (0.946 m)|
|Driver diameter||6 ft 8 in (2.032 m)|
|Axle load||21.25 long tons (21.59 t)|
|Weight on drivers||42.00 long tons (42.67 t)|
|Locomotive weight||65.11 long tons (66.15 t)|
|Tender weight||52.65 long tons (53.49 t)|
|Boiler||LNER Diagram 97|
|Boiler pressure||180 psi (1.24 MPa)|
|Firegrate area||26 square feet (2.4 m2)|
|871.75 square feet (80.988 m2)|
|– Flues||354.53 square feet (32.937 m2)|
|– Firebox||171.5 square feet (15.93 m2)|
|Superheater area||271.8 square feet (25.25 m2)|
|Cylinder size||17 in × 26 in (432 mm × 660 mm)|
|Tractive effort||21,556 lbf (95.9 kN)|
|Railroad(s)||LNER » BR|
|Power class||BR: 4P|
|Axle load class||Route availability 8|
|Disposition||One preserved, remainder scrapped|
One, 246/62712 Morayshire has been preserved on the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway.
- D49/1 Introduced 1927 with Walschaerts and, Gresley conjugated valve gear with 8-inch (200 mm) piston valves
- D49/2 Introduced 1928 with Lentz rotary-cam poppet valves
- D49/3 Introduced 1928 with Lentz oscillating-cam poppet valves
Names and numbers
Main article: List of LNER Class D49 locomotives
Accidents and incidents
- On 3 January 1931, locomotive No. 2758 Northumberland was hauling a passenger train that was derailed at Carlisle, Cumberland due to excessive speed through a curve. Three people were killed.
- In July 1958, locomotive No. 62703 Hertfordshire ran into the turntable pit at Bridlington, Yorkshire and rolled into its side.
- Hall, Stanley (1990). The Railway Detectives. London: Ian Allan. p. 97. ISBN 0 7110 1929 0.
- Hoole, Ken (1983). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 4. Redruth: Atlantic Books. p. 39. ISBN 0 906899 07 9.
- Boddy, M. G.; Brown, W. A.; Fry, E. V.; Hennigan, W.; Manners, F.; Neve, E.; Tee, D. F.; Yeadon, W. B. (April 1968). Fry, E. V., ed. Locomotives of the L.N.E.R., Part 4: Tender Engines—Classes D25 to E7. Kenilworth: RCTS. pp. 86–113. ISBN 0-901115-01-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LNER Class D49.|
|This article relating to steam locomotives operated in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|