LOL (2012 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lisa Azuelos|
|Produced by||Loredana Mortensen Michael Shamberg
|Screenplay by||Lisa Azuelos
|Based on||LOL (Laughing Out Loud)
by Lisa Azuelos and Nans Delgado
|Music by||Rob Simonsen|
|Edited by||Myron Kerstein|
Double Feature Films
|Distributed by||Lionsgate Films|
|Running time||97 minutes|
LOL is a 2012 American coming of age comedy-drama-romance film directed by Lisa Azuelos, written by Azuelos and Kamir Aïnouz. The film is a remake of the 2008 French film LOL (Laughing Out Loud). It stars Miley Cyrus, Demi Moore, Ashley Greene and Adam Sevani. It was filmed in 2010 but released by Lionsgate two years later, in the United States on May 4, 2012, as a limited release in 105 theaters without promotion. Before its release in the US, LOL was released in India and Singapore. The film was released in 26 countries.
Lola (Miley Cyrus) leads an ordinary life, with her boyfriend Chad (George Finn), and best friends Emily (Ashley Hinshaw), Janice (Lina Esco) and Kyle (Douglas Booth). When they return to school, Lola discovers that Chad has cheated on her over the summer, so the two of them break up. Lola and Kyle begin to realize that they have feelings for each other and pursue a relationship, but this is complicated due to the fact that Chad and Kyle are friends, and Lola's "enemy" Ashley (Ashley Greene) wants to date Kyle. Kyle and his band want to compete in the battle of the bands, but Kyle's dad doesn't support Kyle's passion for music and feels that it is getting in the way of his schoolwork. During the movie, Lola records all of these events in her diary.
Lola's mom, Anne (Demi Moore), is a divorcée who frequently has sex with her ex-husband, Allen (Thomas Jane) until she finds out that Allen has been sleeping with another woman at the same time. Anne also begins to realize that she and Lola are growing further apart once Lola throws a party and is caught by Anne, who threatens to not allow Lola to go on her class trip to Paris. Things finally start to change when Anne meets police officer James (Jay Hernandez) and they begin to date. During their relationship, James offers Anne advice on how to reconnect with Lola. She takes up the advice. After a presentation at school, Lola looks for Kyle in the bathroom, and overhears two people having sex in the stall. Lola assumes it is Kyle and Ashley after seeing a purse similar to Ashley's peeking out from under the stall. Lola confronts Ashley, who doesn't deny it. A huge fight breaks out between Kyle and Lola, where Lola accuses Kyle of cheating on her, and the two break up. After the break up, Lola is determined to make Kyle jealous, and tries to do so by making out with her childhood friend Jeremy (Jean-Luc Bilodeau). Meanwhile, Lola and Anne reconnect, and Anne allows Lola to go on the class trip to Paris.
While on the Paris trip, Emily finally admits to Lola it was actually her and her secret boyfriend Wen (Adam Sevani) in the bathroom, not Ashley and Kyle. After this realization, Lola and Kyle get back together and Lola spends the night with Kyle where he is staying and they have sex for the first time. When they all get home, Lola sticks up for Ashley when Chad calls her a hoe. Ashley thanks her for this and it seems they could be friends again in the future. Meanwhile, Anne finds Lola's diary and finds out that Lola has slept with Kyle, made out with Emily and done drugs. She confronts Lola, and the two of them have a huge falling-out, causing Lola to move in with her dad. Eventually, Lola and Anne reconcile and Lola moves back in with her mother. Kyle's band wins battle of the bands with his father's support. Kyle and Lola stay together and Ashley and Chad begin to date. The film ends with Anne and Lola laughing out loud while cuddling.
- Miley Cyrus as Lola Williams
- Demi Moore as Anne Williams
- Ashley Greene as Ashley
- Douglas Booth as Kyle Ross
- Adam Sevani as Wen
- Thomas Jane as Allen Williams
- Jay Hernandez as James
- Marlo Thomas as Gran Williams
- Nora Dunn as Emily’s Mother
- Gina Gershon as Kathy
- Fisher Stevens as Roman
- George Finn as Chad
- Lina Esco as Janice
- Ashley Hinshaw as Emily
- Tanz Watson as Lloyd
- Austin Nichols as Mr. Ross
- Jean-Luc Bilodeau as Jeremy
- Kitty Buick as Student
- Bethany Clegg as Student
Principal photography started on July 16, 2010 in Dearborn, Michigan. LOL was primarily filmed at Grosse Pointe South High School in the city of Grosse Pointe, a suburb northeast of Detroit, Michigan. It was also shot in Chicago, Illinois. In September 2010, production moved to Paris. Post-production began on September 14, 2010, and required a year and two weeks before it was completed on November 1, 2011.
- "Everybody" – Ingrid Michaelson
- "You Can't Always Get What You Want" – The Rolling Stones
- "Somewhere Only We Know" – Keane
- "Houdini" – Foster the People
- "The Big Bang" – Rock Mafia
- "Microphone" – Coconut Records
- "Location" – Freelance Whales
- "Cul et chemise" – BB Brunes
- "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime" – Jean-Phillipe Verdin
- "Birds" – The Submarines
- "Heart On Fire" - Jonathan Clay
- "Little Sister" - Jonathan Clay
- "Giving You Up" - Miley Cyrus
- "Runaway Heart" - Glen
LOL was originally set to have a wide domestic release, but instead, it was rushed into a limited release with no significant marketing from the theatrical team. The movie was released only because of a technicality in the contract.
On February 10, 2012, the film was released for the first time in India, and on March 1, 2012, in Singapore. The feature film also had a limited release on May 4, 2012, in the United States.
The film received negative reviews from film critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 17% "rotten" approval rating with an average score of 3.7/10, based on 6 reviews. IMDb.com has given "LOL" a 3.8 approval rating.
|2012 Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actress: Romance||Miley Cyrus||Nominated|
|2012 Do Something Awards||Movie Star: Female||Nominated|
- Fritz, Ben; Kaufman, Amy (April 18, 2012). "OMG! Miley Cyrus' 'LOL' gets no love from Lionsgate". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- LOL at Box Office Mojo
- Christine (July 16, 2010). "LOL filming in Dearborn, MI today". On Location Vacations. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Monaghan, John (August 12, 2010). "OMG! Miley Cyrus wows fans in Grosse Pointe". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Gomez, Luis (April 11, 2012). "Trailer for Chicago-based 'LOL' features Miley Cyrus, Edwardo's Pizza sign". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Vena, Jocelyn (September 7, 2010). "Miley Cyrus And Ashley Greene Shoot 'LOL' In Paris". MTV. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- "LOL (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- "New 2012 Teen Choice Awards Nominations Led By Breaking Dawn & Snow White". GossipCop.com. Gossip Cop Media. June 14, 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Vote". VH1 News. June 14, 2012. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "July 2012 – New Releases". LionsGatePublicity.com. Lions Gate Entertainment. Retrieved 15 July 2012.