London Overground Rail Operations Limited
|Area served||Greater London and Watford, England|
|Key people||Steve Murphy, Chairman|
|Parent||Arriva UK Trains/MTR|
London Overground Rail Operations Limited, formerly known as MTR Laing Metro Limited, is a train operating company contracted to operate the London Overground train service on the National Rail network, under the franchise control of Transport for London. The company is a 50/50 joint venture between the European transport operator Arriva's division Arriva UK Trains and the Hong Kong rail operator MTR Corporation.
In September 2006 Transport for London announced that the extended East London Line would be included, and the operation branded London Overground.
In June 2007 Transport for London awarded the concession to MTR Laing, and operations started on 11 November 2007. The franchise is for six years, four months until 31 March 2014 with a two-year extension option.
In December 2007 John Laing plc's parent Henderson Group put the Laing Rail business up for sale. In April 2008, Deutsche Bahn announced it had bought Laing Rail. Laing Rail became part of DB Regio, before a restructuring saw it moved under the control of Arriva UK Trains.
In May 2015 London Overground Rail Operations will takeover the Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Cheshunt and Chingford services, as well as the Romford to Upminster service, from Abellio Greater Anglia.
London Overground operates these services:
- East London Line - Highbury & Islington to West Croydon/Crystal Palace; Dalston Junction to New Cross.
- Gospel Oak to Barking Line - Gospel Oak to Barking
- North London Line - Richmond to Stratford
- Watford DC Line - Watford Junction to Euston
- West London Line - Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction
- South London Line - Dalston Junction to Clapham Junction
- Companies House extract company no 5668786 London Overground Rail Operations Limited
- "About Us". LOROL. April 2008. Archived from the original on 1 August 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2008.
- Darling, Alistair (14 February 2006). "Silverlink Metro". Hansard. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- "Four bidders on TfL London Rail Concession shortlist" (Press release). Transport for London. 7 June 2006.
- "Introducing London Overground - a new era for London Rail" (Press release). Transport for London. 5 September 2006.
- "MTRLaing appointed to run London Overground" (Press release). John Laing. 19 June 2007.
- "MTR Laing beats Go-Ahead unit Govia to win North London rail franchise". Hemscott. Retrieved 19 June 2007.
- "Deutsche Bahn acquires LOROL" (Press release). LOROL. 1 April 2008. Archived from the original on 17 June 2008.
- London Overground operator appointed to run additional services for TfL Travel & Tour World 4 June 2013
|New creation||Operator of London Overground concession
2007 - present