|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
LPRadicals is a caucus formed in 2006 within the United States Libertarian Party by Susan Hogarth and other party members who opposed removal of much of the material in the party platform during the 2006 national party convention. The caucus lists four points as "key strategic principles in furthering the work of the Libertarian Party toward, as our platform describes it, 'a world set free in our lifetime'." These are: Rights Are Utilitarian, Radical Abolitionism, Principled Populism, No Particular Order (for removal of government policies). The radical caucus is home to many left-libertarians, who feel the pragmatic faction of the party is reminiscent of right-libertarianism. The caucus was active at the 2008 and 2010 Libertarian National Conventions.
The first iteration of the LP Radical Caucus was active from 1972 to 1974. The creator of the caucus, Samuel Edward Konkin III, used it in a brief attempt to steer the fledgling movement away from participating in the political process.Many members of the new reincarnation of the caucus, including left-libertarians and agorists, identify with the views of Konkin.
The second and best known Radical Caucus was founded by Justin Raimondo, Eric Garris and Bob Costello in 1979 in order "to unify the party around radical and hardcore libertarian programs." Raimondo led the caucus from inception until he abandoned the Libertarian Party in 1983. That Radical Caucus was dissolved in 1984.
- Update on the Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, Independent Political Report, December 28, 2008.
- Radicals Key points on LPRadicals.org
- Alexander Zaitchik, Bob Barr the Ralph Nader of 2008?, Alternet.org, May 27, 2008.
- Tom Knapp, Reasons for Radicals (to return to the Libertarian Party), January 5, 2010.
- Libertarian Party Radical Caucus plans 2010 Convention Activities, Independent Political Report, March 2nd, 2010.
- Kn@ppster on Libertarian National Convention, Independent Political Report, June 4th, 2010.
- LP Radical Caucus 1979 statement of principles, The Libertarian Forum, May–June 1979 issue.
- Justin Raimondo, Sex, lies and terrorism, end note mentioning Radical Caucus, Antiwar.com, August 24, 2004.
- Justin Raimondo, An enemy of the state: the life of Murray N. Rothbard, Prometheus Books, p. 266, 2000 ISBN 1-57392-809-7, ISBN 978-1-57392-809-0