LRC (file format)
LRC is a computer file format that synchronizes song lyrics with an audio file, such as MP3, Vorbis or MIDI. When an audio file is played with certain music players on a computer or on modern digital audio players, the song lyrics are displayed. The lyrics file generally has the same name as the audio file, with a different filename extension. For example, song.mp3 and song.lrc. The LRC format is text-based and similar to subtitle files.
Simple LRC format was introduced by Kuo (Djohan) Shiang-shiang's Lyrics Displayer. It was one of the first programs, if not the first, that attempted to simulate Karaoke performance. It usually displays a whole line of lyrics, but it is possible to display a word at a time, such as one would see in modern Karaoke machines, by creating a time tag for each word rather than each line.
The Line Time Tags are in the format [mm:ss.xx] where mm is minutes, ss is seconds and xx is hundredths of a second.
- Normal example:
[00:12.00]Line 1 lyrics [00:17.20]Line 2 lyrics [00:21.10]Line 3 lyrics ... [mm:ss.xx]last lyrics line
[al:Album where the song is from]
[ti:Lyrics (song) title]
[au:Creator of the Songtext] [length:How long the song is] [by:Creator of the LRC file]
[offset:+/- Overall timestamp adjustment in milliseconds, + shifts time up, - shifts down]
[re:The player or editor that created the LRC file]
[ve:version of program]
- Example with ID tags:
[ar:Chubby Checker oppure Beatles, The] [al:Hits Of The 60's - Vol. 2 – Oldies] [ti:Let's Twist Again] [au:Written by Kal Mann / Dave Appell, 1961] [length: 2:23] [00:12.00]Naku Penda Piya-Naku Taka Piya-Mpenziwe [00:15.30]Some more lyrics ... ...
Simple format extended
Available only in Walaoke from Walasoft. The ability to change and specify the gender of the lyrics by using M: Male, F: Female, D: Duet.
[00:12.00]Line 1 lyrics [00:17.20]F: Line 2 lyrics [00:21.10]M: Line 3 lyrics [00:24.00]Line 4 lyrics [00:28.25]D: Line 5 lyrics [00:29.02]Line 6 lyrics
Let's say we use blue for male, red for female and pink for Duet. Line 1 using the default color (blue) when no tag is found. Line 2 lyrics start with red when F: is found. Line 3 lyrics start with blue when M: is found. Line 4 lyrics stays blue when no tag is found. Line 5 lyrics start with pink when D: is found. Line 6 lyrics stays pink when no tag is found.
Enhanced LRC format is an extension of Simple LRC Format developed by the designer of A2 Media Player. It adds an extra Word Time Tag in the format: <mm:ss.xx>.
Example of an Enhanced LRC file:
[mm:ss.xx] <mm:ss.xx> line 1 word 1 <mm:ss.xx> line 1 word 2 <mm:ss.xx> ... line 1 last word <mm:ss.xx> [mm:ss.xx] <mm:ss.xx> line 2 word 1 <mm:ss.xx> line 2 word 2 <mm:ss.xx> ... line 2 last word <mm:ss.xx> ... [mm:ss.xx] <mm:ss.xx> last line word 1 <mm:ss.xx> last line word 2 <mm:ss.xx> ... last line last word <mm:ss.xx>
- Meizu's M3 Music Card and M6 Mini Player
- Creative Labs' MuVo V100
- Archos 5, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- Rockbox compatible devices. See Manual entry
- Nokia's Symbian devices: "Music Player with lyrics available for selected software versions of Nokia 5800XM, X6 and 5230"
- Riptunes MP3 Player MP1872
- Cowon J3 since firmware 2.24
- Sony NWZ-E353/E354/E355/E463/E475 Walkman. Serie S Tablet (With an embeded music player based on Android)
- Transcend t-sonic330 mp3 player
- Caanoo, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- GP2X Wiz, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- E-Great HD Media Player. Model: S100.
- TEAC MP-222, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- MLyrics (for Songbird\Nightingale) 
- kJams Karaoke software by Metamuse Media
- Jatis Mobile Karaoke (Karaoke Player for BREW)
- Sony Media Go (for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP, Create and edit lyrics)
- K-Multimedia Player
- Jack! The Knife (for Windows)
- LrcShow-X (for Linux media players) 
- MiniLyrics (for Windows, Mac OS X & Android, own a large LRC database)
- OSD Lyrics (for Linux media players)
- sweetBox Lite (audio player and LRC creator for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1) Download here from Box repository
- Lyrics Screenlet (a screenlet for Linux media players)
- Foobar2000 (Windows-only customizable music player)
Lyrics Server Database
- Lyrics For You, a new Russian web-site with LRC's
- Portal LRC, a Brazilian lyrics web site with over 3000 LRC's
- Lyricsfly API, database of lyrics with REST XML API access
- Tutorial - Creating lyrics using LRC Editor
- Lrceditor-Amarok, a GNU/Linux lrc editor against Amarok
- Amalyp II, a plug-in for Amarok 2 for playback of LRC files and allows to create your own