L A Matheson Secondary School
|L A Matheson Secondary|
|9484 122 St
Surrey, British Columbia, V3V 4M1, Canada
|School board||School District 36 Surrey|
|Principal||Mr P Sarmento|
|Vice principal||Mr.Brown, Mr.Voros, Mr. Valera|
|School type||Public high school|
|Colours||Blue and White|
|Enrollment||1326  (October 2009)|
L A Matheson Secondary School is a public high school in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, and is part of School District 36 Surrey. The school opened in 1969 as a junior secondary school as a feeder to Queen Elizabeth Secondary School but in 1998 became a full secondary school serving grades 8 through 12.
In the 2007/08 school year, L A Matheson Secondary School was ranked 251st out of 316th in the Fraser Institute annual ranking of secondary schools in British Columbia and Yukon. However, this contrasts to internal statistics showing that 40% of L A Matheson students achieve a GPA of 3.0 and above.
Sports and athletic activities are governed by the Surrey Secondary Schools' Athletic Association. The athletics program includes rugby, volleyball, soccer, swimming, boys' and girls' basketball, cross-country, running and cricket.
In previous years, L A Matheson has had a bad reputation as various gangs operated throughout the high school. There were rising tensions between Indo-Canadian students and Caucasian students and a student was killed off school grounds in 2001. In 2002, another student was stabbed and injured by classmate. Since then, things have changed drastically and L A Matheson is a safer and more secure environment. The Provincial Attorney General, Ujjal Dosanjh, chose this school to launch five Responding to Racism booklets in October 1999.
- Enrollment is revealed in the "principals message" as of October 2009
- "Report Card on Secondary Schools in British Columbia and Yukon: 2009 Edition." Fraser Institute. June 2009.
- - p.6 of a recent newsletter showing outstanding academic achievement On the other hand, the Fraser Institute's ranking is substantiated by L A Matheson's current Wikipedia article in which the school states the low ranking "contrays [sic] to internal statistics."
- Story on killing near LA Matheson grounds
- L A Matheson - Athletics
- "Stirring the racism pot", Alberta Report, 25 October 1999
- L.A. Matheson Secondary School
- School Data Summary 2001/02 - 2005/06, British Columbia Ministry of Education.