||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2011)|
LaQuan Smith (born 30 August 1988) is an African-American fashion designer who founded and is the CEO of the women's clothing brand LaQuan Smith, LLC. Smith is based in Queens, New York.
Smith was born on 30h August 1988, in Queens, New York. As he grew up he developed a passion for fashion and design but really got into it at the age of 13 when his grandmother passed on her old Singer sewing machine for him to use. From there he began regularly designing and creating garments. At the age of 17, Smith was diagnosed with cancer but managed to battle through it until he was 100% cancer free. In 2007 he graduated from high school and from there he begun his career in fashion.
In 2005, after being diagnosed with cancer, Smith applied to the Fashion Institute of Technology and Parsons School of Design, but was not accepted. He began interning at the New York magazine BlackBook in 2007, and attended events by pretending to be a BlackBook editor. In 2008, he created his self-titled designer brand.
In February 2010, he made his New York Fashion Week debut at the Society of Illustrators headquarters in Upper East Side. The audience for Smith's 'Water Goddess' show included fashion press, buyers and celebrities. Specifically, the Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley, Vogue style director Alexandra Kotur, Janice Combs, Misa Hylton, Justin Tranter and lawyer L. Londell McMillan. He later presented a Spring-Summer Collection in September 2010.
Smith's collection for the 2011 New York Fashion Week was showcased in the Gramercy Ballroom at the Peninsula Hotel. The collection, titled 'A Story Book Path', was inspired by Marie Antoinette, Cruella De Vil and Queen Elizabeth I. Notable guests included Andre Leon Talley, Diane von Furstenberg, George Malkemus, Sandra Bernhard, Lorenzo Martone, Marcus Samuelsson and L. Londell McMillan. Models walking in the show included Cassie Ventura, Deborah Cox, Jaslene Gonzalez, and Serena Williams.
- LaQuan Smith Website
- "A Young Outsider, on the Doorstep", The New York Times, 12 February 2010
- "Fashion designer LaQuan Smith, from Queens, is 21-year-old Fashion Week virgin", NY Daily News, 13 February 2010
- "On the scene: Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley embraces LaQuan Smith's Fashion Week diversity", NY Daily News, 15 February 2010
- "LaQuan Smith’s Over-the-Top Romp Through Versaille, Starring Serena Williams", fashionista.com, 16 September 2010
- "LaQuan Smith", dailycandy.com, 27 August 2010
- "2010 Fall Fashion Week: LaQuan Smith's 2011 Spring Couture Collection", bvonstyle.com, 16 September 2010
- "Serena Williams Walks the Runway", Vogue, 14 September 2010
- "Love for LaQuan!", dailyfrontrow.com, 16 September 2010