Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Claude Pinoteau|
|Produced by||Marcel Dassault|
|Music by||Vladimir Cosma|
|Editing by||Marie-Josèphe Yoyotte|
|Studio||Gaumont Film Company|
|Distributed by||Gaumont Film Company|
|Running time||110 minutes|
La Boum (English title: The Party or Ready for Love) is a 1980 French comedy film directed by Claude Pinoteau and starring Sophie Marceau, appearing in her film début. Written by Danièle Thompson and Claude Pinoteau, the film is about a thirteen-year-old French girl finding her way at a new high school and coping with domestic problems. The film was an international box-office hit, earning 4,378,500 admissions in France. The music was written by Vladimir Cosma, with Richard Sanderson singing the song "Reality". A sequel movie, La Boum 2, was released in 1982.
Thirteen-year-old Vic (Sophie Marceau) is new at her high school. She makes friends with Pénélope (Sheila O'Connor) and together they check out the boys at their school, looking for true love. Vic is frustrated by her parents, who will not allow her to attend the "boum", a big party. Her great-grandmother, Poupette, helps her out, and Vic ends up falling in love with Matthieu (Alexandre Sterling). While Vic is busy finding her true love, her parents' marriage faces a crisis when her father's ex-lover demands a last night together.
- Claude Brasseur as François Beretton
- Brigitte Fossey as Françoise Beretton
- Sophie Marceau as Vic Beretton
- Denise Grey as Poupette
- Jean-Michel Dupuis as Étienne
- Dominique Lavanant as Vanessa
- Bernard Giraudeau as Éric Thompson
- Jacques Ardouin as Père de Raoul
- Evelyne Bellego as Éliane
- Richard Bohringer as Guibert
- Jean-Claude Bouillaud as Père Boum 2
- Micheline Bourday as Journaliste 'VSD'
- Florence Brunold as Femme enceinte
- Jean-Pierre Castaldi as Brassac
- "Reality" (Cosma-Jordan) by Richard Sanderson – 4:45
- "It Was Love" (Cosma-Jordan) by The Regiment – 4:30
- "Formalities (instrumental)" (Cosma-Jordan) by Orchestra Vladimir Cosma – 3:40
- "Gotta Get a Move On" (Cosma-Jordan) by Karoline Krüger – 2:58
- "Swingin' Around" (Cosma-Jordan) by The Cruisers – 2:47
- "Gotta Get a Move On" (Cosma-Jordan) by The Regiment – 4:42
- "Formalities" (Cosma-Jordan) by The Regiment – 3:41
- "Gotta Get a Move On (instrumental)" (Cosma-Jordan) by Orchestra Vladimir Cosma – 3:00
- "Murky Turkey" (Cosma-Jordan) by Richard Sanderson – 3:48
- "Go On Forever" (Cosma-Jordan) by Richard Sanderson – 3:43
In his review for Allmovie, Hal Erickson called the film "disarmingly diverting" and a "real audience pleaser".
- Erickson, Hal. "La Boum". Allmovie. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "Box office for The Party". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "La Boum". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "Full cast and crew for La Boum". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "La Boum". Discogs. Retrieved 10 November 2012.