La Cañada High School
|La Cañada High School|
|4463 Oak Grove Drive
La Cañada Flintridge, California, United States
|Number of students||approx. 2,200|
|Colors||Red and Gold|
La Cañada High School is a high school located in La Cañada Flintridge, California, US. It sits at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, below the Angeles National Forest, in the City of La Cañada Flintridge. The school is adjacent to the Interstate 210 Freeway north of Pasadena's Rose Bowl and south of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
La Cañada High School has been named both a California Distinguished School and a National Blue Ribbon School. The U.S. Department of Education has recognized LCHS for “high achievement and exemplary programs”, for rich extracurricular activities, and for strong community support. With an enrollment of 1445 in grades 9–12, LCHS has also consistently received the maximum six years of accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
In 2009, La Cañada High School was ranked 80th out of all public schools in the U.S and 23rd in the state of California by the U.S. News and World Report. Of the graduating class of 2012, 100% of students attended college. Also according to U.S. News & World Report, LCHS is rated # 1 as of 2012 top high school in California, # 20 top open enrollment high school in the U.S., # 7 top open enrollment high school in California, and # 1 top open enrollment high school in Southern California. LCHS was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon High School in 2004. In 2009, LCHS achieved a new school record of 20 students admitted as National Merit Scholarship semifinalists.
La Canada High School competes interscholastically as a member of the Rio Hondo League. Boys Varsity basketball coach Tom Hofman led his teams to two CIF Southern Section Championships in 1992 and 2011. Famous Iranian-American Soccer Coach, Afshin Ghotbi was the assistant coach to head coach Louis Bilowitz of the La Cañada High School boys from 1988 to 1991. Together, they won four Rio Hondo League championships over a four-year period from and a CIF championship in 1989. Bilowitz went on to win two more CIF championships in 1995 and 1996, and National Coach of the Year in 1995. Girls Varsity Cross Country was led to two California Division III state championships in 1997 and 1998 by Coach Tony Haynes. In his 13 years of coaching, Girls Varsity won 12 Rio Hondo league championships and 5 CIF SS championships. Boys Varsity Cross Country was also lead by Tony Haynes, winning 8 Rio Hondo League championships, appearing in 8 CIF SS Finals, and also 3 CA Division III appearances. Girls' Varsity Softball Coach K.C. Matthews led his team to the CIF-SS division 5 championship in 2011 and successfully defended the title in 2012.
- Michael Cunningham (1970), author of the 1998 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Hours
- Matt Whisenant (1971), former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Doug Davidson (1973), actor (The Young and the Restless).
- Chris Holmes (1976), lead guitarist W.A.S.P.
- Phil Joanou (1979), film director (Rattle and Hum, Three O'Clock High).
- Mark Riebling (1982), author of Wedge: The Secret War Between the FBI and the CIA.
- Brian Behlendorf (1991), computer programmer, developer of the Apache Web server
- Indra Petersons (1998), a weather anchor for CNN's New Day and CNN Newsroom programs
- Aaron Koblin (2000), digital media artist
- Chris D'Elia (2002), stand-up comic and actor
- David Lipsky (2006), golfer
- Sonny Moore (2006), also known as Skrillex, a musician who created popularity toward Dubstep music
- Trace Cyrus, [dropped out in 2006] member of the band Metro Station, adopted son of Billy Ray Cyrus
- Kate Hansen (2010), 2014 Winter Olympic luger
- "La Canada High School / Overview". Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "Best High Schools Rankings - Top High Schools - US News". Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- "La Ca�ada Unified School District". Retrieved October 8, 2014.