La Familia (rap group)
From left: Puya, DJ Wicked and Sișu
|Also known as||Sisu & Puya|
|Origin||Balta Albă, Bucharest, Romania|
|Genres||Gangsta rap , Old school hip hop|
|Years active||1995 - Present|
|Labels||Cat Music, Scandalos Music|
|Associated acts||Il-egal, C.I.A., veRbal, 6ase6ase, Codu Penal, Honey, Chucho, Don Baxter.|
La Familia is a Bucharest-based rap group founded in 1995, among the first hip hop acts in Romania. They established a national reputation by popularizing their style of gangsta rap similar to B.U.G. Mafia and distinct from R.A.C.L.A. and Paraziţii. The group gained notoriety after member Tudor Sișu was incarcerated for drug trafficking in late 2003, which led to a public feud with fellow gangsta rap artists B.U.G. Mafia.
The group was founded by Tudor Sișu, Abe "Bracadabra" Froman and Dragoş "Puya" Gărdescu. Like many hip hop artists, they fought a hard battle for visibility and success. Sișu was raised by his mother and Puya was the youngest of four brothers, both from a periphery neighborhood of Bucharest.
By 1997 they had held concerts throughout the country. In 1998, their album Nicăieri nu-i ca acasă ("No Place Like Home") was one of the best selling albums in Romania, and with their video Tupeu de Borfaş ("Hustler Nerve") in heavy rotation in Romania for several months, they became well-known all over the country.
In 2003, Tudor Sișu was sentenced to 3 years in prison for drug possession and trafficking. The same year they had a feud with the well known rap-group B.U.G. Mafia in which they lost the rights to use "La Familia" as their official name after B.U.G. Mafia's producer, Tataee, had registered the name with OSIM (the Romanian Office for Inventions and Trademarks) and asked for €15,000 to give it back. The single Foame de bani ("Hungry For Money") was released as a diss-track for B.U.G. Mafia (who never officially answered it).
In 2005 Sișu and Puya founded their own music label called "Scandalos Music" and Dj Wicked become part of the band. Puya said he was interested in signing not only rap artists, but any other talented musician who wants to collaborate with them. In 2006 they signed C.I.A., a rap group from Craiova, and featured them on the Mai vrei? (You Want More?) track off the O mare familie (One Big Family) album. In October 2005, Tudor Sișu was released on parole after serving 2 years, but he was arrested again in June 2006 by the police on grounds of drug trafficking. He stayed in custody from June 2006 until October 2007 when he was released. As of the end of 2007 he is still awaiting trial.
In 2007 they settled their feud with B.U.G. Mafia in court and consequently their rights to use the "La Familia" name were reinstated. The official reason was that Tataee had registered the name with harmful intentions to the group's image and brand. In 2008 Puya released his first solo album "Muzică de tolăneală şi depravare" featuring 14 Tracks, most of them produced by the multi-platinum German producer DoubleL. The first single "Viaţă nouă" features Keo & Laura. The album includes other guest appearances by Alex, Bibanu, Cabron, Cedry2k.
In 2010 the group released their first album under the "La Familia" name in 7 years. The album, named "Classic" and was supported by the single "Consecinţe" (Consequences), with a video directed by If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle director Florin Șerban that drew inspiration from and promoted the movie. The track was produced by Romanian Spanish-based producer Sagace.
- 1997 - Băieţi de cartier (Homeboys)
- 1998 - Nicăieri nu-i ca acasă (No Place Like Home)
- 1999 - Dumnezeu e băiat de cartier (oare?) (Single) (God is a Homeboy (Is He?))
- 1999 - Bine ai venit în paradis (Welcome to Paradise)
- 2000 - Ca la noi (As We Do It)
- 2000 - Strada mea (My Street) - Sișu's Solo Album
- 2001 - Familiarizează-te (Familiarize Yourself)
- 2002 - Pana la capat in felul meu (My way until the end) - Puya's unreleased solo album
- 2003 - Zi de zi (Single) (Everyday)
- 2003 - Punct şi de la capăt (Period. New paragraph)
- 2003 - Viaţă bună (Single) (Good Life)
- 2004 - Foame de bani (Money Hunger)
- 2006 - Pune-i la pământ (Single) (Knock'em to the Ground)
- 2006 - O mare familie (One Big Family)
- 2007 - De 10 ani tot în familie (The Best Of) (10 Years And We Still In The Family)
- 2008 - Muzică de tolăneală și depravare (Puya's first official solo album)
- 2009 - Românisme partea I (Undeva-n Balkani is the lead single of this Puya solo album)
- 2009 - Românisme partea II (Change is the lead single of single of Puya solo album)
- 2009 - Vacanță în Mexic (Holiday in Mexico, Sișu's second solo album)
- 2011 - Temnița Luminii (The Prison of Light, Sișu's third solo album)
- 2013 - Maidanez E.P. (Hounddog E.P., Puya's first EP, released exclusively online)
- 2014 - Marea evadare (The Great Escape, Sișu's fourth solo album)
- "La Familia – Free listening, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "BUG MAFIA vorbeste despre scandalul cu LA FAMILIA". YouTube. 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Tudor Sișu, fost membru al trupei La Familia, rămâne în închisoare". Prison.com.ro. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "La Familia (5) - Nicăieri Nu-i Ca Acasă (CD, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Puya © Scandalos Music". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Tudor Sisu va fi eliberat, dupa ce a ispasit doua treimi din pedeapsa. Decizia este definitiva". Stirileprotv.ro. Retrieved 2013-10-21.