La Follette family
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The La Follette family is a family of politicians from the United States. Below is a list of members:
- Robert M. La Follette, Sr. (1855–1925), District Attorney of Dane County, Wisconsin 1880-1884; U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 1885-1891; delegate to the Republican National Convention 1896, 1904; Governor of Wisconsin 1901-1906; U.S. Senator from Wisconsin 1906-1925; candidate for Republican nomination for President of the United States 1908, 1916; candidate for President of the United States 1924. Belle Case La Follette was his wife. Fola La Follette was his daughter; Fola La Follette's husband the playwright George Middleton was his son-in-law. His sister Josephine La Follette was married to Robert G. Siebecker, Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. First cousin of William La Follette.
- Robert M. La Follette, Jr. (1895–1953), son of Robert M. La Follette, Sr.; U.S. Senator from Wisconsin 1925-1947, delegate to the Republican National Convention 1928, 1932.
- Philip La Follette (1897–1965), son of Robert M. La Follette, Sr.; District Attorney of Dane County, Wisconsin 1925-1927; Governor of Wisconsin 1931-1933, 1935-1939.
- Harvey Marion LaFollette (1858-1929), brother of William La Follette and first cousin of Robert M. La Follette, Sr., Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction and one of the founders of LaFollette, Tennessee.
- William La Follette (1860–1934), first cousin of Robert M. La Follette, Sr.; Washington House of Representatives 1899-1901, U.S. Representative from Washington 1911-1919.
- Suzanne La Follette (1893–1983), daughter of William La Follette; journalist.
- Chester La Follette (1897–1993), son of William La Follette; painter, second cousin of Robert M. La Follette, Sr.
- William Leroy LaFollette, Jr. (1890-1950), son of William La Follette; Washington House of Representatives 1939.
- Charles M. La Follette (1898–1974), third cousin of Robert M. La Follette, Jr. and Philip La Follette; Indiana House of Representatives 1927-1929, U.S. Representative from Indiana 1943-1947.
- Doug La Follette (1940-), great-grandson of Robert M. La Follette, Sr.'s uncle, Secretary of State of Wisconsin (1975–1979, 1983-present)
- Charles S. Eastman (1864-1939), nephew of Robert M. La Follette, Sr.; South Dakota House of Representatives 1907-1908
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress: "LA FOLLETTE, Robert Marion, (1855 - 1925)"
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress: "LA FOLLETTE, Robert Marion, Jr., (1895 - 1953)"
- The Political Graveyard: "LaFollette, Bronson Cutting (b. 1936)"
- The Political Graveyard: "LaFollette-Farnham family of Wisconsin"
- Association of Libertarian Feminists: Suzanne La Follette
- Current Biography, 1950, "Charles M(arion) La Follette," 314-316
- Political Graveyard: LAFOLLETTE
- Charles La Follette, Time Magazine
- La Follette weathers Republican tsunami, Journal Sentinel Dec. 11, 2010
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress