La Jolla Country Day School
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2007)|
|La Jolla Country Day School|
|9490 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037
|Established||1926 (as the Balmer School)|
|Head of school||Christopher Schuck|
|Grades||Nursery through Grade 12|
|Number of students||1,038 |
La Jolla Country Day School (known informally as "Country Day," "LJCDS" or "LJCD") is a highly selective private school in La Jolla, a community of San Diego, California. It was founded as the Balmer School by Louise Balmer in 1926. The school contains a lower school (consisting of nursery through fourth grade), a middle school (grades 5-8), and an upper school (grades 9-12). The school's motto is "Scientia Pacifica" (peace through knowledge). Its tuition varies (depending on grade level) from $25,000 to $30,000 per year. Its chief rivals are two private high schools, The Bishop's School in La Jolla and the Francis Parker School in San Diego. Country Day features basketball, volleyball, track and field, swimming, water polo, cross country, tennis, baseball, softball, fencing, ultimate frisbee, cheerleading, football, lacrosse, and soccer, among other sports. It is in close proximity to University of California, San Diego. Richard C. Atkinson serves on the school's Board of Trustees, La Jolla Country Day School was voted the best private school in San Diego in 2007 by the San Diego Union-Tribune.
"La Jolla Country Day School is the school of choice for families who value an education that develops people of good character and enables children to achieve their potential as scholars, artists and athletes of character."
La Jolla Country Day School is accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In addition, the school is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE).
- Emma Caulfield (1991), Actress
- Kate Dillon Levin (1992), Model
- Jared Polis (1993), United States Congressman
- Rashaan Salaam (1993), Former NFL player
- Alexandra Stevenson (1999), Professional tennis player
- Diego Rovira (2000), Indoor Soccer player
- Candice Wiggins (2004), Basketball player
- Chrystina Sayers (2005), Musician and former member of American girl group Girlicious
- Miles McMillan (2007), International Top Model
- La Jolla Country Day School Official website
- C-SPAN Q&A interview featuring LJCDS American government and history teacher Sarah Bakhiet, July 3, 2005