La Plata High School
|La Plata High School|
|6035 Radio Station Road
La Plata, Maryland, 20646
|Principal||Ms. Evelyn Arnold|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and White ██|
|Athletics conference||Southern Maryland Athletic Conference|
|Feeder Schools||Piccowaxen, Somers|
La Plata High School is part of the Charles County Public Schools and is located in La Plata, Maryland, United States. The current school was built in 1979. Before that, it was in the building (built in 1964) which now holds Milton M. Somers Middle School.
On November 9, 1926 the La Plata Elementary School was destroyed by a tornado that killed 13 students. That two room building was replaced by a new school that housed both an elementary and high school for La Plata.
As of 2010, La Plata High School has an enrollment of 1,396 students with a demographic profile of 73.6% White, 22.6% Black, 1.7% Asian or Pacific Islander 1.5% Hispanic, and 0.7% American Indian. The Schoolwide Reading Proficiency is 85.8%, while the Schoolwide Math Proficiency is 91.9%.
- Matt Dyson, football player Oakland Raiders 1995 (fifth round draft pick), Head Coach football George Mason University 2002–present, 1994 Defensive MVP of the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, California.
- Aaron Escolopio is the current drummer of the band Wakefield. Former member of Good Charlotte.
- William Daniel Mayer, former member of Maryland House of Delegates
- Paul Thomas, Joel Madden and Benji Madden are members of the band Good Charlotte.
- Don Money, baseball player
- Daryl Thompson, baseball player
- "Schools & Centers". Charles County Public Schools. Retrieved 2007-12-22.
- School Information
- Partlow, Joshua (January 20, 2005). "Anticipating Growth, Charles Weighs New Government Building". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
In turn, Milton Somers was housed until 1964 in the Government Building, on Baltimore Street.
- Thomas R. Brooks (November 1926). "The Tornado in Southern Maryland, November 3, 1926". Monthly Weather Review (American Meteorological Society). 54, 11 (11): 462–462. doi:10.1175/1520-0493(1926)54<462:TTISMN>2.0.CO;2.
- "La Plata Elementary School". The Historical Marker Database. February 3, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Zilliox, Jacqueline (2007). Charles County. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7385-4407-8.
- "La Plata High School". School Matters. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Hoard, Chrisian (2003-04-09). "Young, Hopeless, Rich and Famous". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2007-12-18.