La Quinta High School (La Quinta, California)
|La Quinta High School|
|79255 Blackhawk Way
La Quinta, California, 92253
|Number of students||2999|
|Color(s)||Burgundy and Navy|
La Quinta High School is one of six public high schools, grades 9-12, in the Desert Sands Unified School District. It is located in the La Quinta, California. The school was a California Distinguished Schools award winner in 1999, 2003 and 2011.
La Quinta High School was built in 1994 but fully completed by 1996. In its first year it had an enrollment of approximately 600 students with only grades 9-10 and in 1998, with grades 9-12, it now exceeds 3,000 students making it the largest high school in the Coachella Valley. The campus is crowded and portable classrooms have been added to accommodate all the students.
La Quinta High has obtained several awards, including a California Distinguished School award, in 1999, 2003 and 2011. Since the 2001-2002 academic year it has also been an International Baccalaureate School.
It is the home of the award winning La Quinta Blackhawk Brigade Marching Band and Colorguard.
In 2010, La Quinta High School's Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps(AFJROTC CA-951) received the Distinguished Unit(with Merit) award. Making the unit part of the top 5% of JROTC units worldwide.
In 2006, the school was ranked 614th in Newsweek's "The Complete List: 1,200 Top U.S. Schools". Also has the highest API Score of the Coachella Valley with an 816, aside from Palm Desert High School with an 825 API score.
La Quinta High's mascot is the "Blackhawk", they participate in the Desert Valley League and their main rival is Palm Desert High School. La Quinta High is the only school in the Coachella Valley with a rugby union program. It was the first school in the Coachella Valley to win two consecutive CIF football championships. The school has also won three consecutive CIF wrestling championships in 2009, 2010, and 2011.[when?] The Schools Water Polo team has also to win the CIF water polo championships in 2012 to become the first team to win CIF in the Coachella Valley.
- Tyler Hilton - American actor and singer-songwriter
- Jeff Webb - American football player for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League
- Anthony Kim - American Pro Golfer
- Aubrey O'Day- singer, Danity Kane
- Nora Kirkpatrick - actress
- Johnathan Ingram- Professional Football player with the NFL
- Michael Docimo - American Pro Wrestler
- The Complete List: 1,200 Top U.S. Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools[dead link]
- "Tyler Hilton". Soylent Communications. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Associated Press (2009-08-17). "Chiefs add free-agent receiver Lelie". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- Bonk, Thomas. "True To His Roots". Golf Digest. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "Pro Wrestler Darkness".