La Rumeur (French pronunciation: [la.ʁy'mœʁ]) is a french-language rap group from Élancourt (Yvelines, France)). Founded in 1997, the group is composed of four rappers, Ekoué, Hamé, Mourad, and Philippe, and two DJs, Kool M and Soul G.
Considering themselves an "underground" or subversive group, La Rumeur has refused to adapt their lyrics for radio. They carefully select the media outlets with which they communicate, shunning the popular press, television, and radio. Concerts and word of mouth are their main means of promotion.
La Rumeur and the group Anfalsh are very close, having written and performed several songs together. They have also worked with politically involved hip hop crews such as Assassin, Kalash, Less' du Neuf, and hardcore rappers Sheryo and Casey.
La Rumeur has involved itself in political activism in the suburbs of France, calling for attention to be paid to the often-ignored Paris massacre of 1961, as well as to police abuse, including "accidental" killings of young French people. The band is critical of reformist NGOs such as SOS Racisme. Hamé wrote: "... through organizations such as SOS Racisme, created by the PS to contribute to the destruction of the Marche des beurs radicalism ; 'Equal rights' has become 'Equal chances to be admitted into nightclubs'. Justice for those assassinated by the police is overshadowed by massive slogans such as "Hands off my pal !" and "Long live miscegenation !", etc.... La Rumeur is closer to NGOs such as the MIB (Mouvement Immigration Banlieue).
In May 2008, La Rumeur performed in Minneapolis as guests of Ursus Minor at the Triple Rock Social Club during the Minnesota Sur Seine festival.
Despite two court orders in their favor , they have been targeted in a lawsuit by Nicolas Sarkozy, who was the French Minister of the Interior (in which they are represented by Dominique Tricaud), related to an article written by Hamé. They eventually won this "bataille juridique" after a 8 years long process.
- Ekoué (formerly Le Poison d'Avril)
- Hamé (formerly Le Franc-Tireur)
- Mourad (formerly Le Paria)
- Philippe (formerly Le Bavar)
- Kool M (DJ)
- Soul G (DJ)
- 2002: L'Ombre sur la Mesure
- 2004: Regain de Tension
- 2007: Du Cœur à l'Outrage
- 2007: 1997-2007 Les Inédits
- 2012: Tout brûle déjà
- 1997: Volet 1 : Le Poison d'Avril
- 1998: Volet 2 : Le Franc-Tireur
- 1999: L'Entre Volets
- 1999: Volet 3 : Le Bavar & Le Paria
- 2002: Je Connais tes Cauchemars / Le Prédateur Isolé
- 2003: Nous Sommes les Premiers...
- 2004: Pourquoi On Resterait Calme ? (P.O.R.C.)
- Hamé, La Rumeur Magazine, n°1, 29 April 2002
- Bennhold, Katrin (2003-03-29). "Rapper in France is acquitted of libeling the police". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "Hamé, du groupe de rap La Rumeur, relaxé". Le Monde (in French). 2008-09-26.
- Brown, Daniel (October 2004). "Review of Regain de Tension". Mondomix. Retrieved 2008-12-26.