La Tène, Neuchâtel
|• Total||5.44 km2 (2.10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||450 m (1,480 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2013)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Cudrefin (VD), Gampelen (BE), Ins (BE), Saint-Blaise, Thielle-Wavre|
La Tène is a municipality in the district of Neuchâtel in the Swiss canton of Neuchâtel. On 1 January 2009, the former municipalities of Marin-Epagnier and Thielle-Wavre merged to form the new municipality of La Tène.
La Tène has an area, as of 2009[update], of 5.4 square kilometers (2.1 sq mi). Of this area, 2.65 km2 (1.02 sq mi) or 48.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 0.45 km2 (0.17 sq mi) or 8.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 2 km2 (0.77 sq mi) or 36.8% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.21 km2 (0.081 sq mi) or 3.9% is either rivers or lakes and 0.13 km2 (32 acres) or 2.4% is unproductive land.
Of the built up area, industrial buildings made up 6.1% of the total area while housing and buildings made up 14.2% and transportation infrastructure made up 11.9%. while parks, green belts and sports fields made up 3.9%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 41.9% is used for growing crops and 3.3% is pastures, while 3.5% is used for orchards or vine crops. Of the water in the municipality, 0.2% is in lakes and 3.7% is in rivers and streams.
It is located at the northeastern tip of Lake Neuchâtel at an elevation of 455 meters, and, as of December 2013, a population of 4,834 people. It lies close to Biel, at the boundary between French- and German-speaking regions, and at a knot of highways.
La Tène has a population (as of December 2013[update]) of 4,834. As of 2008[update], 26.0% of the population are resident foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (2000–2010) the population has changed at a rate of 16.7%. It has changed at a rate of 12.1% due to migration and at a rate of 3.2% due to births and deaths.
As of 2008[update], the population was 49.2% male and 50.8% female. The population was made up of 1,740 Swiss men (36.1% of the population) and 634 (13.1%) non-Swiss men. There were 1,871 Swiss women (38.8%) and 578 (12.0%) non-Swiss women.
Heritage sites of national significance
The Clinique De Préfargier, Maison De Santé and Les Bourguignonnes-les-Perveuils in Marin-Epagnier, the La Tène culture settlement and the Les marais d‘Epagnier prehistoric and medieval sites are listed as Swiss heritage site of national significance. The Préfargier, Montmirail and Cité Martini areas are part of the Inventory of Swiss Heritage Sites.
As of 2010[update], La Tène had an unemployment rate of 5.6%. As of 2008[update], there were 47 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 14 businesses involved in this sector. 1,167 people were employed in the secondary sector and there were 60 businesses in this sector. 2,867 people were employed in the tertiary sector, with 198 businesses in this sector.
Of the working population, 15.8% used public transportation to get to work, and 55.2% used a private car.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 14 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Superweb database - Gemeinde Statistics 1981-2008 (German) accessed 19 June 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 24-October-2011
- Canton of Neuchatel Statistics, République et canton de Neuchâtel - Recensement annuel de la population (German) accessed 13 October 2011
- "Kantonsliste A-Objekte". KGS Inventar (in German). Federal Office of Civil Protection. 2009. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to La Tène.|