Working for your health and well-being
|Société Anonyme with Management Board and Supervisory Board|
|Industry||Pharmaceutical industry, Cosmetics|
|Jean-Paul Berthomé, CEO|
|Products||Medicines, Dermo-Cosmetics, Health products|
|Revenue||259.4 million Euros|
Number of employees
Laboratoires Expanscience was created in 1950 by Paul Berthomé and Claude Guillon and is a pharmaceutical laboratory specializing in dermo-cosmetics, rheumatology, dental health, dermatology and the marketing of active cosmetic ingredients. It owns well known brands Mustela and Noviderm.
In 1950, Laboratoires Expanscience was created by Paul Berthomé and Claude Guillon and specialized in dermo-cosmetics.
Laboratoires Expanscience began to develop the international side of its business from 1963 with the opening of a Belgian subsidiary.
In 1996 Laboratoires Expanscience once again diversified its business with the introduction of a range of dermatological medicines, followed in 2001 by the launch of its dental health business.
In 2002 the business continued its international expansion with the opening of a subsidiary in Mexico, followed in 2009 by one in Poland and in 2013 with the opening of 2 subsidiaries in Brazil and Turkey.
The Expanscience Brands
Mustela is a line of products devoted to baby care and for pregnant women and young mothers.
The product line includes the following ranges:
- Mustela Bébé, designed for the hygiene, bathing, changing and skin protection of babies
- Mustela Dermo-Pediatrics: skin care products dedicated to caring for skin problems of newborns, babies and children
- Mustela 9 Months: a line created to take care of skin both during pregnancy and after giving birth
- Mustela Sun Protection: specializing in the sun protection of newborns, babies and children
Mustela claims to use natural ingredients "whenever possible"
Noviderm is a line of skin care products developed in 1996. Noviderm products are specially formulated to treat skin problems in adolescents and adults.
Research and Development
Laboratoires Expanscience has devoted part of its business to research and development.
In 2012, Laboratoires Expanscience invested 4.3% of its turnover in research and development. Between 1997 and 2012, Laboratoires Expanscience has filed 76 patents in France and produced 48 scientific publications.
Laboratoires Expanscience research work is carried out in three centers at its Épernon site:
- The innovation centre which works on the development of new active ingredients based on plant material or derived from green chemistry
- The product development center which works on the development of new cosmetic products
- The safety, quality and effectiveness center which ensures the quality and chemical safety of the products and materials
From 2005 Laboratoires Expanscience has set up a Corporate Social Responsibility framework to incorporate sustainable development into its corporate strategy.
Its action on sustainable development is carried out in 4 areas of work:
- The products - by offering products and active ingredients which are safe for consumers and kind to the environment and overall to reduce their environmental impact,
- Purchasing and supplies -by integrating the sustainable development criteria into the purchasing process and by ensuring that biodiversity and local populations are respected and by fighting against bio piracy
- Environmental practices – by working to reduce its environmental impact in particular by the reduction of water and energy consumption
- Social responsibility – by improving quality of life at work for employees and favoring social investment and dialogue with all its stakeholders
In February 2012 Laboratoires Expanscience joined the Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT), gradually ensuring that its sourcing practices promote the conservation of biodiversity, respect traditional knowledge and assure the equitable sharing of benefits all along the supply chain.
The Mustela Foundation
Founded in 1982 by the President of Laboratoires Expanscience under the aegis of the Fondation de France, the Mustela Foundation is aimed at child health professionals and its objective is to encourage work and projects on children’s development and their relationship with their environment.
Since its creation the Mustela Foundation has supported research by awarding scientific research grants and since 2007 via the Research-Action prize which finances a project led by practicians on the ground and/or researchers working on a topic set out by the scientific committee of the Mustela Foundation.
In 2007, the Foundation launched a prize for social pediatrics in partnership with the Société Française de Pédiatrie to support a project promoting the positive treatment of children and their families.The Foundation also carries out action for health protection by distributing free literature.
In 2012, Laboratoires Expanscience had a turnover of 240.5 million Euros, 59% made in France and 41% internationally.
Breakdown of turnover by business sector
The 2012 turnover can be broken down as follows:
- Dermo-Cosmetics: 49.4%
- Health: 49%
Geographical breakdown of turnover
In 2012, Laboratoires Expanscience made 59% of its turnover in France and 41% internationally.
- "Laboratoires Expanscience – Chiffres clés et répartition du chiffre d’affaire CA". Expanscience.com. 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "La saga des marques : Mustela". Plurielles. 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Key dates". Laboratoires Expanscience. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Mustela products". Laboratoires Expanscience. Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Mustela - select your language". Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Mustela® lança website no Brasil". Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- "Natural cosmetics for baby are paraben- and phthalate-free". Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Weasel". Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Gros plan sur le département R&D des Laboratoires EXPANSCIENCE". Gazettelabo.fr. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Laboratoires Expanscience". Unglobalcompact.org. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- Emballages Magazine hors serie - Décembre 2009 p34 et p35 : Expanscience Développe des conditionnements écoconçus
- "Laboratoires Expanscience joins the Union for Ethical BioTrade". Ethicalbiotrade.org. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- Cosmétique hebdo - 6 avril 2010 p3