Lachlan (//, // or //) or Lachlann is a Scottish masculine given name. The name comes from Gaelic Lachlann, derived from the earlier Gaelic word for Scandinavia, Lochlann. Pet forms of Lachlan include Lachie, Lachy and Lockie. A feminine form of the name is Lachina (in Scotland).
In 2000s and 2010s, Lachlan has been a very common baby name in Australia and New Zealand, due in part to the fame of Lachlan Macquarie, Governor of New South Wales; ranking within the top ten masculine names registered in several Australian states. In 2008, Lachlan was ranked as the third most popular masculine baby name in New South Wales, with 581 registered that year. The same year, the name was ranked as the sixth most popular masculine baby name in Victoria, with 438 registered. In 2013 it was the tenth most popular name for boys in Australia.
- Given name
- Lachlan, Lord of Galloway (died 1200)
- Lachlan Buchanan, (born 1990), an Australian actor.
- Lachlan Burr, (born 1992), Australian rugby league player.
- Lachlan Coote, (born 1990), an Australian rugby league player.
- Lachlan Donald Ian Mackinnon, (1882–1948), a Royal Navy officer.
- Lachlan Dreher,
- Lachlan Elmer,
- Lachlan Fraser,
- Lachlan Gordon-Duff,
- Lachlan Hansen,
- Lachlan Henderson,
- Lachlan "Lockie" Leonard, main character in Tim Winton's Lockie Leonard books.
- Lachlan Mackinnon,
- Lachlan Maclean (disambiguation), several people.
- Lachlan Bronneach Maclean, (fl. 1470's) 7th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Cattanach Maclean, (c.1465–1523) 11th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Hector Charles Maclean, (1942– ) 28th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Lubanach Maclean, (c.1350–c.1405) 5th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Maclean, 10th Chief, (fl. 1510's) 10th chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Maclean, 3rd Laird of Torloisk,
- Lachlan Maclean, 6th Laird of Coll,
- Lachlan Og Maclean, (c.1432–1484) 8th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Og Maclean, 1st Laird of Torloisk,
- Sir Lachlan Maclean, 1st Baronet, (c.1620–1649) 17th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Sir Lachlan Mor Maclean, (1558–1598) 14th Clan Chief of Clan Maclean
- Lachlan Macleay,
- Lachlan Macquarie,
- Lachlan Maranta (born 1992), Australian Rugby League player
- Lachlan Maury Vass,
- Lachlan McGillivray,
- Lachlan McIntosh,
- Lachlan McLean, (born 1968) an American radio host.
- Lachlan Mitchell,
- Lachlan Morton, (born 1992) an Australian professional road racing cyclist.
- Lachlan Murdoch,
- Lachlan Renshaw,
- Lachlan Ross,
- Lachlan Stevens, (born 1978), an Australian cricket player and coach.
- Lachlan Turner, (born 1987), an Australian rugby union player.
- Murray Lachlan Young, a British performance poet.
- Thomas Lachlan Macdonald, (1898–1980), a New Zealand politician.
- Robert McLachlan, (1837–1904), an English entomologist.
- Jonathan Lachlan-Stewart, a Canadian voice actor.
- Lachie Munro, (born 1986), a New Zealand professional rugby player.
- Lachie Thomson, (1870-), an English professional footballer.
- Lachie Stewart, (born 1943), a Scottish distance runner.
- Jones, Daniel; Gimson, Alfred C. (1977) . Everyman's English Pronunciation Dictionary. Everyman's Reference Library (14 ed.). London: J. M. Dent & Sons. ISBN 0-460-03029-9.
- Hanks, Patrick; Hodges, Flavia (2006). Hardcastle, Kate, ed. Oxford Dictionary of Names (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 162. ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
- "Popular Baby Names". www.bdm.nsw.gov.au. Retrieved 24 July 2009.
- "Popular Names Search". www.online.justice.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 24 July 2009.
- "Australia’s 100 most popular baby names". Kidspot. April 2, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|