Ladbroke Grove tube station
|Local authority||Kensington and Chelsea|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Original company||Hammersmith and City Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Hammersmith and City Railway|
|Post-grouping||Hammersmith and City Railway|
|13 June 1864||Opened as Notting Hill|
|1869||Renamed Notting Hill (Ladbroke Road)|
|1880||Renamed Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove|
|1 June 1919||Renamed Ladbroke Grove (North Kensington)|
|1938||Renamed Ladbroke Grove|
|13 December 2009||Circle Line service introduced|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Ladbroke Grove is a London Underground station on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines, between Latimer Road and Westbourne Park stations, and in Travelcard Zone 2 set in The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea .
Originally opened as part of the Metropolitan Railway on 13 June 1864 as Notting Hill with the extension of that line from Paddington to Hammersmith it was renamed Notting Hill & Ladbroke Grove in 1880 and Ladbroke Grove (North Kensington) on 1 June 1919 before acquiring the present name in 1938.
The station is the nearest to Portobello Road Market and market traders and shopkeepers in the market have started a campaign to have the station renamed Portobello Road in an effort to strengthen recognition of the market's proximity.
In 2009, because of financial constraints, TfL decided to stop work on a project to provide step-free access at Ladbroke Grove and five other stations, on the grounds that these are relatively quiet stations and some are already one or two stops away from an existing step-free station. Ladbroke Grove is two stops away from Wood Lane which has step-free access. The project at Ladbroke Grove would have provided two new lifts to platform level and a new step-free entrance. £3.06 million was spent on Ladbroke Grove before the project was halted.
In popular culture
This station appears in an earlier version of the music video for Lily Allen's "LDN". Lily alights here after travelling from Hammersmith tube station on the Hammersmith and City line with her red Raleigh Chopper bicycle. The station also appears in the films Kidulthood (2006) and Adulthood (2008).
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2008". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2009". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Let's call it Portobello Road Tube, Evening Standard, 30 June 2006
- "Disability and Deaf Equality Scheme (DES) 2009-2012". TfL. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- "TfL wastes £64million abandoning disabled access plans on the Tube". Evening Standard. 21 April 2010. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ladbroke Grove tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- Lily Allen video on YouTube Video featuring Ladbroke Grove tube station (1 min 54 - 2 min).
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Hammersmith & City line||