Ladies versus Butlers!
|Ladies versus Butlers!|
Ladies versus Butlers! light novel volume 1 cover.
|Genre||Harem, Romantic comedy|
|Written by||Tsukasa Kōzuki|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Original run||September 10, 2006 – March 10, 2012|
|Written by||Tsukasa Kōzuki|
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Original run||June 2008 – December 2008|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Atsushi Ōtsuki|
|Original run||January 5, 2010 – March 23, 2010|
|Episodes||12 + 6 Specials|
Ladies versus Butlers! (れでぃ×ばと! Redi×Bato!?) is a Japanese light novel series written by Tsukasa Kōzuki, with accompanying illustrations by Munyū. The series includes 13 novels released between September 2006 and March 2012, published by ASCII Media Works under their Dengeki Bunko imprint. A manga adaptation by the illustrator group Nekoyashiki-Nekomaru was serialized in ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Moeoh magazine between the June 2008 and December 2008 issues. A drama CD based on the novels was released in September 2009. A 12-episode anime adaptation produced by Xebec and directed by Atsushi Ōtsuki aired in Japan between January and March 2010. The anime has been licensed by Media Blasters for release in North America.
Akiharu Hino lost his parents when he was young and was adopted into his uncle's family. He decides to enter a boarding school, Hakureiryō Academy, because he no longer wants to burden his relatives. He decides to take the exam for that school and succeeds in entering the House Management Department, where the school trains servants for high society. He wants to become a butler, but his delinquent appearance frightens the girls, who make up the majority of the students. Being unable to get along with his classmates, Akiharu meets his childhood girlfriend Tomomi Saikyō, a girl with a two-faced character who traumatized him many times when they were kids. Another girl named Selnia Iori Flameheart chases after him because of his looks and calls him suspicious. Still, Akiharu starts finding his feet at the school and his relationships with the girls also get better.
- Akiharu Hino (日野 秋晴 Hino Akiharu?)
- Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu
- The main protagonist of the story, he is often seen as a delinquent because of his red eyes and rough appearance (accented by a scar bisecting his left eyebrow). In contrast to his appearance, he has a caring personality, but is dense in regards to girls and matters of love. Because of everyone's less than friendly perception of him, he is often accused of performing perverted acts on the girls of the academy. He was tormented by his childhood friend Tomomi when they were younger and now that they have become reacquainted, Tomomi is often behind the schemes leading to these misunderstandings.
- He is well aware of Tomomi's conniving manipulative schemes and devilish personality but is resigned to dealing with her pranks, despite knowing about her personality, because she knows so much about him as a child that she is effectively blackmailing him into keeping quiet about her. On the brighter side, she tells him that she will help him through to graduation, perhaps because she subconsciously cares for him or, more likely, simply because she enjoys how much more fun she can have at school with him around.
- Kaoru Daichi (大地 薫 Daichi Kaoru?)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya
- Akiharu's roommate and fellow servant-ed student. She is actually a cross-dressing girl (because of a strict father, who told her to graduate from Hakureiryō as a man). She has many fans in the upper-ed section and is taken to be a boy because of her small bust and short hair. She is rather cold to Akiharu at first, but slowly opens up to him. She is always worried about her real gender being exposed, especially with Akiharu present in their room and is simultaneously relieved and rather upset when Akiharu sees her naked from the waist up and shows no reaction (due to her flat chest). She develops feelings for Hino, which she realizes when she responds to a love letter. She holds a black belt in an unspecified martial art and is implied to be the daughter of a dojo, as shown in a flashback.
- Sanae Shikikagami (四季鏡 早苗 Shikikagami Sanae?)
- Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu
- A clumsy maid at the academy who causes Akiharu much trouble. She has an older sister, Saori Shikikagami in upper-ed. She used to be in upper-ed herself, but because of her family falling on hard times, she transferred over to servant-ed. She is very inept at tasks typically required of a maid, and usually ends up making a mess of things.
- Shingo Todoroki (轟 慎吾 Todoroki Shingo?)
- Voiced by: Takafumi Kawakami
- A member of the academy's servant-ed class and one of the few boys in the entire school. He is an outright pervert who admits that he only came to Hakureiryō because the girls who go to this school are either beautiful maids-in-training or high class ladies from prominent families. His perversion almost always causes him to sexually harass women and therefore invoke the wrath of Mikan.
- Mitsuru Sanke (三家 満 Sanke Mitsuru?)
- Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura
- A member of the academy's servant-ed class and one of the few boys in the entire school. He is rather a darling of the ladies in the servant-ed class.
- Tomomi Saikyō (彩京 朋美 Saikyō Tomomi?)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- Tomomi is an upper-ed student at the academy and is also Akiharu's childhood friend. Her polite and refined attitude serves as a front to hide her true self: a manipulating prankster. Her surname was Tomomi Suzuhashi until her mother got remarried. She plays pranks on other people (usually on Akiharu, Selenia or both) to keep herself from being bored (though it eventually turns into jealousy after seeing them kiss) and is willing to withhold information from everyone (as in the case of the Hino-Khadim scandal when she decided to keep silent despite having found out the Khadim family rules, only revealing what she knew when things were starting to get too complicated) whenever she sees fit. Also there may be some cases where she involves others in situations to achieve certain ends (as when she assigned Hino to stay with Mimina for a day in order to inspire her to draw). According to Akiharu, she is highly intelligent and also dislikes losing to other people. In the anime, a characteristic high-pitched giggle accompanied by a shadow and dark expression on her face signify whenever she is having an evil thought. While on a date with her, Akiharu reveals that, despite her constant pranks on him, he had in fact had a crush on her and his dream was to marry her when they grew up, which surprised and embarrassed Tomomi, perhaps showing that she reciprocates these feelings but never realized it until then.
- Selenia Iori Flameheart (セルニア＝伊織＝フレイムハート Serunia Iori Fureimuhāto?)
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara
- As an upper-ed student at the academy, Selenia is extremely proud of her status as scion of the Flameheart family. She is often the unfortunate target in the various misunderstandings purposely caused by fellow student Tomomi Saikyo, which also normally involve Akiharu. While outwardly harsh and condescending towards Hino, she continually expresses concern for him when he finds himself in less than desirable situations, though this is usually followed a blunt lecture or a small beating. Her hairstyle is the reason why she is referred to as "Drill" by Akiharu (which upsets her) and in the anime, her spins and make sounds similar to a drill whenever she is upset. She is shown to have strong feelings for Akiharu, exemplified in her kissing him and her rivalry with Tomomi for his affection. Even though she outwardly denies feeling anything for Akiharu, she does in fact realize and accept how she feels.
- Pina Sformklan Estoh (ピナ＝スフォルムクラン＝エストー Pina Suforumukuran Esutō?)
- Voiced by: Mai Gotō
- She is the princess of a small country who transferred to Japan largely for her love of anime. She openly asserts her pride in being an anime otaku, and has contempt for the Japanese youths who can name any foreign opera or composer, yet do not even know the names of current anime in their own country. She is quite lonely since she has no one to talk to about anime, cosplay, or other otaku hobbies (other than their principal). She speaks in an "archaic dialect", mixing in words like "onushi" (お主?, equivalent to "you") and adding "ja" (じゃ?) at the end of sentences.
- Mimina Ōsawa (桜沢 みみな Ōsawa Mimina?)
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- She is a 19 year old student who appears to be about 10 due to an illness, which has kept her in hospitals most of her life. She developed her talent for drawing to stave off boredom in the hospital and has become quite talented but she hates having to draw for the sake of others, wanting to only draw what she likes. Although she dislikes Akiharu at first, she starts to develop feelings for him when he stands up for her, telling other students that she draws for her own pleasure and to let her draw whatever she wants to.
- Suiran Fō (鳳 水蘭 Fō Suiran?)
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami
- Suiran is one of Selenia's closest friends. At times she utters Chinese words and wears the qi pao on occasion.
- Saori Shikikagami (四季鏡 沙織 Shikikagami Saori?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Gotō
- She is the elder of the Shikikagami sisters but unlike her younger sister, she is an upper-ed student at the academy, having paid the required fees before their family fell on hard times. She has a habit of taking her clothes off without minding where she is, who sees her as she undresses or if it is appropriate or not. She is also as ditzy as her younger sister although unlike her, she misadventures result in her in various states of undress.
- Ayse Khadim (アイシェ＝ハディム Aishe Hadimu?)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- She is very shy and hardly talks to anyone but her body guard. When Akiharu unintentionally walks in on her her changing in a classroom he is instantly engaged to her due to her family's customs that a man may not see a woman's skin unless he is her husband. Unknown to everyone else who tries to break the engagement, Ayse is in love with Akiharu and wants to marry him regardless of her family's customs. She confesses to him and has resolved to wait for him to come to love and choose her.
- Hedyeh (ヘディエ Hedie?)
- Voiced by: Haruka Tomatsu
- She is Ayse's ever-loyal bodyguard who faithfully protects and defends her mistress with a lethal-looking scimitar. When Hino accidentally saw Ayse naked, Hedyeh hounded him until Ayse gave up on him. Hedyeh tends to be extremely violent, acting before thinking; while she normally talks in a husky, low tone, her voice becomes quickly high-pitched when she is sufficiently agitated or is thinking of violence. She is always beside Ayse.
- Tōichirō Kazamatsuri (風祭 灯一郎 Kazamatsuri Tōichirō?)
- Voiced by: Shinji Kawada
- The only male member of the academy's upper-ed class. He considers himself as the most beautiful creature in existence and as such and proclaims that he should be admired by everybody. Ironically, students usually avoid him because of his extreme narcissism and androgynism, which they find creepy.
- Kaede Tenjōji (天壌慈 楓 Tenjōji Kaede?)
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise
- Hakureiryō Academy's principal whose hobbies include playing eroge even at work. Her otaku tendencies tend to get in the way of her work, and lets her react to situations similar to what she sees in her games with excitement, usually leading to more misunderstandings. To keep her focused at more serious matters, she is often reprimanded by Mikan, who she is afraid of. She also sponsors the anime "Magical Diva" and as such has a large collection of items related to the anime including the original manuscript. She would want to talk more to Pina about it, but she is unable to do so easily because of Mikan, who has a close eye on her.
- Mikan (深閑?)
- Voiced by: Kumi Sakuma
- The academy's head instructor who oversees almost all things related to the school. She is known for her mastery of all things related to becoming a maid or butler and her strict, cold demeanor towards those who slack off in the middle of duty and anything unrelated to school matters and as such, students and even the principal herself avoid provoking her. She uses fountain pens in the same way a ninja uses throwing knives with deadly accuracy.
Ladies versus Butlers! began as a series of light novels written by Tsukasa Kōzuki, with accompanying illustrations by Munyū. ASCII Media Works published 13 novels under their Dengeki Bunko imprint between September 10, 2006 and March 10, 2012.
A manga adaptation by the illustrator group Nekoyashiki-Nekomaru was serialized in ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Moeoh seinen manga magazine between the June 2008 and December 2008 issues. A single tankōbon volume was released on December 18, 2009 under ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Comics imprint.
An hour long drama CD based on the novels was released by ASCII Media Works on September 8, 2009. The drama CD was bundled with a booklet featuring material written by Tsukasa Kōzuki and illustrated by Munyū, a leaflet describing the characters, a small collection of rough sketches, and a set of postcards. The CD features three episodes, the second of which is an original story for the drama CD. The voice cast of the drama CD is the same as with the anime adaptation.
Internet radio show
An Internet radio show to promote the anime series and other Ladies versus Butlers! media called Mai's and Mariya's Radio versus Butlers! (麻衣と茉莉也のらじ×ばと! Mai to Mariya no Raji×Bato!?) aired 31 episodes between September 28, 2009 and May 31, 2010 hosted on the anime's official website. The show was streamed online every other Monday, and was hosted by Mai Goto and Mariya Ise who voice Pina Sufolmuclan Estoh and Kaede Tenjōji in the anime, respectively. The show's theme song is "Arashi o Yobu Party Nau" (嵐を呼ぶパーティなう?) sung by Goto and Ise.
A 12-episode anime television series produced by Xebec and directed by Atsushi Ōtsuki aired in Japan between January 5 and March 23, 2010 on AT-X. The first episode was given a special early broadcast on December 29, 2009 on AT-X. Six short bonus specials are included with the Blu-ray Discs. The anime has been licensed by Media Blasters for release in North America in 2014.
|01||"Boy Versus Lady"
"boui X redi" (ぼーい×れでぃ)
|January 5, 2010|
|A suspicious-looking boy, Akiharu Hino, transferred to Hakureiryō Academy, a boarding school once known for only high-class young ladies. However upon his arrival, he encounters Selenia Iori Flameheart who accuses him a delinquent and causes uproar throughout the campus, until Akiharu meets his wicked childhood friend Tomomi Saikyo who clears the misunderstanding by telling everyone an embarrassing future goal of Akiharu's.|
|02||"Lady Versus Lady!"
"redi X redi !" (れでぃ×れでぃ！)
|January 12, 2010|
|Akiharu has a hard time on his first day training to be a butler, getting to know the other servant and upper classmates, and their eccentric personalities.|
|03||"Guard Versus Lady?"
"gaado X redi ?" (がーど×れでぃ？)
|January 19, 2010|
|For today's practical exam to prove one's faithfulness, Tomomi has Akiharu accept her partnership, and gives him an unusual task in following Mimina Ōsawa around, a little artist who has been hospitalize most of her life.|
|04||"Lady Versus Virgin?"
"redi X baajin?" (れでぃ×ばーじん？)
|January 26, 2010|
|Akiharu accidentally sees Ayse Khadim's naked skin! Due to her family's customs Akiharu is force to engage her. That is unless either Selenia or Tomomi can do something about it.|
|05||"Lady Versus Lady!!"
"redi X redi!!" (れでぃ×れでぃ!!)
|February 2, 2010|
|Upon seeing the score result for an exam, Selenia and Tomomi remark their days since their first year meeting at Hakureiryō Academy, where they eventually become rivals to see who's the most diligent and growing lady. Meanwhile, the academy's water system goes out-of-order, and have to use a indoor natural hot spring for the time being, where the servants and uppers are getting into perversions.|
|06||"Secret Versus Boy?"
"shiikuretto X booi?" (しーくれっと×ぼーい？)
|February 9, 2010|
|Akiharu's roommate Kaoru Daichi, who in reality is a cross-dressing girl because of her father's strict desires, has an uncomfortable time cooperating with Akiharu. Though, Kaoru has a chance to be girl for one day at an upcoming ball for cross-dressing students.|
|07||"Lady Versus Magical"
"redi X majikaru" (れでぃ×まじかる)
|February 16, 2010|
|Meeting Pina Sformklan Estoh, an anime otaku princess makes her move, much to Principal Kaede Tenjōji's enthusiasm. Suggesting, Akiharu and Tomomi for assistance in helping to create a fabulous doujinshi of hers, she recommends them to finding suitable candidates for a cosplay photo gallery.|
|08||"Summer Versus Scandal"
"samaa X sukyandaru" (さまー×すきゃんだる)
|February 23, 2010|
|Selenia finally got her chance into having Akiharu accept her partnership for the next practical exam. Only this time, she drags him to a vacation household of hers, where the maids there stir up Selenia's relationship with Akiharu that apparently leads to a "summer of love".|
|09||"Date? Versus Chaste!"
"deeto? X cheisu!" (でーと？×ちぇいす！)
|March 2, 2010|
|After witnessing Selenia kissing Akiharu, Tomomi's feelings for Akiharu reaches a breaking point. Tomomi invites Akiharu to take her on a date, while Selenia spies on their little affection around in town. By the end of the day, Tomomi and Akiharu talk about their childhood conflicts that Akiharu confirms he wanted to be her "bride".|
|10||"Love Letter Versus Rhapsody"
"raburetaa X rapusodi" (らぶれたー×らぷそでぃ)
|March 9, 2010|
|Kaoru discovers a love letter for her and is now in a predicament, whether confessing her true feelings or exposing her true gender. So Akiharu and the boys try to give her their own excellent advice.|
|11||"Lady Versus Lady!!!"
"redi X redi!!!" (れでぃ×れでぃ!!!)
|March 16, 2010|
|Having another usual day of butler duties, Pina then gives Akiharu passport tickets to a special waterpark "Try Aqualand" as a gift. Tomomi and Selenia confront each other about their affections for Akiharu. Principal Kaede announces for the annual sports day, that the girls use as an opportunity to decide who goes with Akiharu since he only haves two tickets.|
|12||"Lady Versus Battle!"
"redi X batoru!" (れでぃ×ばとる！)
|March 23, 2010|
|Racing through the sport match, as the game begins to reach its climax between Selenia versus Tomomi, who will win? Selenia? Tomomi? Or just deal with Akiharu's density in understanding a lady's heart?|
- "れでぃ×ばと!" [Ladies versus Butlers!] (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. Retrieved December 1, 2009.
- "れでぃ×ばと! (10)" [Ladies versus Butlers! (13)] (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "れでぃ×ばと! (1)" [Ladies versus Butlers! (1)] (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "「れでぃ×ばと!」ドラマCD" [Ladies versus Butlers! Drama CD] (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved December 1, 2009.
- "麻衣と茉莉也のらじ×ばと!" [Mai's and Mariya's Radio versus Butlers!] (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. Retrieved December 1, 2009.
- "「れでぃ×ばと！」放送時間" [Ladies versus Butlers! Air Times] (in Japanese). Xebec. Retrieved December 1, 2009.
- "Ladies versus Butlers! Special to Run in December". Anime News Network. November 9, 2009. Retrieved December 1, 2009.
- "Media Blasters Adds Ladies Versus Butlers! TV Anime". Anime News Network. July 18, 2013. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Ladies versus Butlers! at ASCII Media Works (Japanese)
- Anime official website (Japanese)
- Ladies versus Butlers! at Xebec (Japanese)
- Ladies versus Butlers! (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia