Ladue Horton Watkins High School
|Ladue Horton Watkins High School|
|1201 South Warson Road
Ladue, Missouri, USA
|Type||Comprehensive public high school|
|Principal||Brad Griffith |
|Associate Principals||Mike Tarpey, Brian Garner, Kurt Knoedelseder|
|Number of students||1,306 (Fall 2013)|
|Color(s)||Blue and white|
|Website||Ladue Horton Watkins High School|
Ladue Horton Watkins High School, is a public high school in Ladue, Missouri that is part of the Ladue School District. Its namesake, Horton Watkins, was vice president of the International Shoe Company and had died in 1949. The family of Horton Watkins donated the 28-acre (110,000 m2) tract of land on South Warson Road to the school for the high school site as a memorial to him.
The high school boasts a 99% graduation rate (class of 2012), of which 92% continue on to higher education in 2-4 year institutions.  In standardized testing, Ladue typically scores above the national average.
For the 2011–12 school year, the school offered 26 activities approved by the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA): baseball, boys and girls basketball, cheerleading, boys and girls cross country, dance team, field hockey, football, boys golf, girls lacrosse, orchestra, band and vocal music, scholar bowl, boys and girls soccer, girls softball, speech and debate, boys and girls swimming and diving, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls track and field, girls volleyball, water polo, and wrestling. In addition to its MSHSAA activities, the school offers students an opportunity to participate in a variety of school-sponsored clubs.
Ladue students have won several state championships:
- Scholar bowl: 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Boys golf: 1960, 1970
- Boys swimming and diving: 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963
- Girls swimming and diving: 1976
- Boys tennis: 1962, 1985, 1995
- Girls tennis: 1978, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 2009
- Boys cross country: 2010
- Boys track and field: 2003, 2010
- Girls track and field: 2005, 2009
- Boys lacrosse: 2010
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (June 2011)|
- John H. "Todd" Armstrong, '56, star of Jason and the Argonauts
- Andy Russell, '59, football player
- Paul William Bucha, '61, Medal of Honor, US Army, Captain, Vietnam
- Frances Ginsberg, '73, opera singer
- Duane Hawthorne, '94, football player
- Kevin Spirtas, '80, actor
- Jim McKelvey '83, co-founder of Square, Inc.
- Jeff Smith, '92, politician
- Dorothea Lasky, '96, poet
- Eric Nenninger, '97, actor
- Courtney Van Buren, '98, football player
- Justin Willman, '98, actor, magician and entertainer
- Becky Sauerbrunn, '03, soccer player, U.S. Women's National Team
- "Ladue Schools Appoints Griffith Principal of Ladue Horton Watkins High School" (PDF). Ladue Schools. March 12, 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Ladue principal says 'differing view' led to decision to resign". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. November 13, 2012.
- "Ladue Horton Watkins High School ('High School Profile 2013-14')" (PDF). 2013. p. 1.
- "2012 Ladue Schools Annual Report" (PDF). Ladue Schools. 2012. p. 7. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
- Ladue District Overview
- "America's Best High Schools 2013". Newsweek. May 6, 2013. p. 7. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- High School Profile 2011-12, p. 2
- MSHSAA: Ladue Horton Watkins
- MSHSAA: Championship Histories by Sport
- "Quizbowl Research Database".
- "St. Louisan Todd Armstrong Starred in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS in 1963". December 19, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2014.