Lady Elizabeth Percy
The pennon of Sir Henry Percy
|Spouse(s)||John Clifford, 7th Baron de Clifford
Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland
Sir John Neville
|Noble family||House of Percy|
|Father||Henry 'Hotspur' Percy|
|Died||26 October 1436|
Lady Elizabeth Percy (c. 1395 – 26 October 1436) was the daughter of Sir Henry Percy, known to history as 'Hotspur', and Elizabeth Mortimer, the eldest daughter of Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March, and his wife, Philippa, the only child of Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence, and Elizabeth de Burgh, Countess of Ulster. After the death of Sir Henry Percy, Elizabeth Mortimer married, sometime after 3 June 1406, Thomas de Camoys, 1st Baron Camoys, who later commanded the rearguard of the English army at the Battle of Agincourt.
By her mother's first marriage to Sir Henry Percy, Elizabeth Percy had one brother, Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (3 February 1393 – 22 May 1455), who married Eleanor Neville (died c. 1473), widow of Richard le Despenser, and daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, by his second wife, Joan Beaufort, legitimated daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster. They had nine sons and three daughters. He was slain at the First Battle of St Albans during the Wars of the Roses.
Marriages and issue
- Thomas Clifford, 8th Baron de Clifford, who married Joan Dacre, daughter of Thomas Dacre, 6th Baron Dacre by Philippa de Neville, daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland.
- Henry Clifford.
- Mary Clifford, who married Sir Philip Wentworth (c.1424 – 18 May 1464) of Nettlestead, Suffolk, beheaded at Middleham, Yorkshire, after the Battle of Hexham, by whom she had a son and two daughters.
- Blanche (or Beatrix) Clifford, who married Sir Robert Waterton (d. 10 December 1475), son of the Lancastrian retainer, Robert Waterton (d. 17 January 1425).
She married secondly, in 1426, Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland (d. 3 November 1484), by whom she had a son, Sir John Neville, who married Anne Holland, daughter of John Holland, 2nd Duke of Exeter. Sir John Neville died shortly before 16 March 1450 without issue. His widow, Anne Holand, married another Sir John Neville who was the brother of Elizabeth Percy's second husband, Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland (d. 3 November 1484). They had an only son, Ralph, 3rd Earl of Westmorland.
- Cokayne 1936, pp. 713-14.
- Walker 2004.
- Richardson III 2011, pp. 193-4, 341.
- Cokayne 1912, p. 508.
- Leland 2004.
- Richardson III 2011, pp. 343–4.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 399.
- Richardson III 2011, p. 250.
- Richardson I 2011, pp. 507-8.
- Summerson 2004.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 507.
- Richardson III 2011, p. 236.
- Whitehead 2004.
- Ellis 1882, p. 421.
- Richardson III 2011, pp. 250-1.
- Pollard 2004.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1912). The Complete Peerage, edited by H.A. Doubleday II. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 506–510.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1936). The Complete Peerage, edited by H.A. Doubleday IX. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 713–714.
- Ellis, Alfred Shelley and George William Tomlinson, eds. (1882). The Yorkshire Archaeological and Topographical Journal VII. London: Bradbury, Agnew and Co. pp. 401–428. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Leland, John L. (2004). Camoys, Thomas, Baron Camoys (c.1350–1420/21). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Pollard, A.J. (2004). Neville, Ralph, second earl of Westmorland (b. in or before 1407, d. 1484). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966373
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X
- Summerson, Henry (2004). Clifford, Thomas, eighth Baron Clifford (1414-1455). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Walker, Simon (2004). Percy, Sir Henry (1364–1403). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- Whitehead, J.R. (2004). Waterton, Robert (d.1425). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 13 October 2013. (subscription required)